starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Training while on holidays

Default Training while on holidays

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey guys,

just wondering what you all do when you're away from your regular gym in terms of training. I find that when I'm away on holidays, the variation in weights and lack of the ability to micro-load at gyms I visit prevents me from continuing with my SS program.

Since this January consists of me being all over the place and away from my home gym, I can't continue my regular training schedule for a few weeks. I can't cope with the idea of this, so does anyone know or use any good SS variations that I can use while I can't use my regular weights?

I'm guessing that something involving more volume at lower weights, or ramping up to max efforts might be useful..

Default Holidays

I personally make a point to drink and eat as much as I can.....to hell with it! It's only a week for Christ sake....You only have the rest of your life, right ? Plus, a nice feed wont hurt I'm sure....Don't worry, just start where ya left....

Yeah, one week would be ok. However, it's been 2 already, and another 2 coming up, spaced throughout the next month. Plus, I'm trying to make the most of the ample time I have while on summer holidays from college..

Quote Originally Posted by tescott View Post
    Yeah, one week would be ok. However, it's been 2 already, and another 2 coming up, spaced throughout the next month. Plus, I'm trying to make the most of the ample time I have while on summer holidays from college..
    Well make time Goddamit! Nothing else to say....

any other ideas from anyone else?

Are you saying it is impossible for you to continue your program because you can't use the same exact weights you use at your home/gym, or that because of being displaced you are having trouble finding a gym to workout at?

If it's the latter, look harder.

If it's the former, you've got to be kidding me. I know that Ripp advocates using the same weights so as to keep precise linear progress, but harden the fuck up and go lift some heavy ass weights.

I pose this question, is it better to go to a gym (read: any gym) and bust your ass for a month, or to sit around like a nancy and make excuses as to why you can't go train (which it seems you have already done)? Which is harder?

When situations like this come up, I ask myself one singular question: Which route will be harder/tougher?

Don't take the easy way out.

I often try to train when I am traveling. As long as the gym has a squat rack and some Olympic bars, you should be able to get along just fine. Almost any major gym should accommodate your needs. If you need, buy some fractional plates and take them with you. Conditions will not be optimal, but that's okay.

Oly lifting platforms are a different story. Those are harder to come by, but check in at any nearby CrossFit gyms. They may let you train and use their bumper plates.

Quote Originally Posted by hatmanii View Post
    Are you saying it is impossible for you to continue your program because you can't use the same exact weights you use at your home/gym, or that because of being displaced you are having trouble finding a gym to workout at?

If it's the latter, look harder.

If it's the former, you've got to be kidding me. I know that Ripp advocates using the same weights so as to keep precise linear progress, but harden the fuck up and go lift some heavy ass weights.

I pose this question, is it better to go to a gym (read: any gym) and bust your ass for a month, or to sit around like a nancy and make excuses as to why you can't go train (which it seems you have already done)? Which is harder?

When situations like this come up, I ask myself one singular question: Which route will be harder/tougher?

Don't take the easy way out.
    Geeze, what is it with people not reading properly and then having to be so rude in their responses. Learn some common courtesy and respect for your fellow man. I'm sure you wouldn't speak like this to someone face-to-face.

I never considered stopping training, or just doing something easier. My question is about how to make the most of your advice of lifting heavy weights, when it's discontinuous with an SS program. You say to bust my ass, but just doing something hard often isn't always beneficial, let alone optimal. I've learned this already by training at different gyms and only really being able to maintain while away.

Just to make the issue clearer: When I normally train, I use the same weights every time. That way, I know that when I add 1kg to my press, I know I've added exactly 1kg. However, if I go to a different gym, the 70kg of weight on the bar will probably not be exactly 70kg, and could be a couple of kilograms different from my regular weights. If it's a bit less, it will still be hard, but won't drive progress beyond what my last workout was. If it is more, I probably wont be able to do the sets, and will be stuck. Both of these situations are lifting heavy weights, but are sub-optimal.

My question, then, is how do others make do with this less than ideal situation? Just go with the weight that's there for 3x5 across and if progress stops for a workout or two, deal with it? Do different set/rep schemes? Ramp up to a max set, in a westside ME style?

If I'm understanding this correctly, you're away from your home gym and worried that weights at the globo gym may be a bit off? I can't think of anything other but to train through it. I don't think the difference between the real weight and the supposed weight of the bar will be that great as to create a stall.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by tescott View Post
    Geeze, what is it with people not reading properly and then having to be so rude in their responses. Learn some common courtesy and respect for your fellow man. I'm sure you wouldn't speak like this to someone face-to-face.
    Common courtesy and bluntness do not often go hand in hand. I prefer the latter. You asked for opinions and advice, and I gave you both.

There really should be no reason for your inquiry in the first place. If you feel that a month break is going to be more beneficial than training (be it with exact weights or not) then you really have no business training in the first place.

Even if you deload 5% so as to insure you will not fail, it is still better than a month break. This isn't rocket science.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast