starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tweaked lower back

Default Tweaked lower back

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey so today i did my last set of squats (95.5kg) and i don't know why but afterwards i felt a sharp pain on my left side in the area just above the butt. At first i thought nothing of it, but as i bend over i can feel it strain and it hurts when i squat down into the bottom position. I tried using a tennis ball to massage it between bench sets because i was worried i would screw it up even more during deads. Did my deads and surprisingly it didn't hurt or anything. Now several hours after my workout, it's gotten worse. Feels like i've tweaked it, but i'm not sure if it's a muscle tear. This is the first time i've experienced an injury like this and i hope it's nothing and will quickly go away. I've iced it for a bit, but is there any other advice? I'm not sure if it's a muscle belly injury so i would need to apply the Starr rehab protocol in the sticky.

PS. Just to add, it only has a sharp but sort of bearable pain when i flex at the hips, either by bending over or lifting my leg up

Quote Originally Posted by confuzzl3don3 View Post
    Hey so today i did my last set of squats (95.5kg) and i don't know why but afterwards i felt a sharp pain on my left side in the area just above the butt. At first i thought nothing of it, but as i bend over i can feel it strain and it hurts when i squat down into the bottom position. I tried using a tennis ball to massage it between bench sets because i was worried i would screw it up even more during deads. Did my deads and surprisingly it didn't hurt or anything. Now several hours after my workout, it's gotten worse. Feels like i've tweaked it, but i'm not sure if it's a muscle tear. This is the first time i've experienced an injury like this and i hope it's nothing and will quickly go away. I've iced it for a bit, but is there any other advice? I'm not sure if it's a muscle belly injury so i would need to apply the Starr rehab protocol in the sticky.

PS. Just to add, it only has a sharp but sort of bearable pain when i flex at the hips, either by bending over or lifting my leg up

Now might be a good time to do that deload everyone was suggesting. This may be your body telling you, in no uncertain terms, to reign it in a little.

-Stacey

I've done this before. After the initial pain started to dull a bit, I found a heating pad or a nice long *hot* bath helped quite a bit. The tightness can last for a few days.

Take it easy for a few sessions and take some time to work the weights back up (reset), you'll be fine.

Haha today was my 2nd day of deloading. I dropped from 103kg to 93kg last friday and so today i did 95.5kg. I'll try that hot pad thing. Really strange though, some people say that just keep ice-ing the thing while others will just say keep it nice and warm. What gives?

PS. I still don't even get how i injured it really. I didn't tape that set unfortunately, but my first two sets seemed fine. The weight was challenging but it wasn't heaps difficult, so i had no idea what went wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by confuzzl3don3 View Post
    Haha today was my 2nd day of deloading. I dropped from 103kg to 93kg last friday and so today i did 95.5kg. I'll try that hot pad thing. Really strange though, some people say that just keep ice-ing the thing while others will just say keep it nice and warm. What gives?

PS. I still don't even get how i injured it really. I didn't tape that set unfortunately, but my first two sets seemed fine. The weight was challenging but it wasn't heaps difficult, so i had no idea what went wrong.
    Shit Happens™. You have merely tweaked something, which requires either backing off a bit, or figuring out a way to train around it. You'll be fine either way.

Ice is used to help prevent inflammation and swelling. Heat will help loosen tightened muscles. This will help with the pain when bending. I like to use ice for the first 24-48 hours, then heat it up. I find this helps with both muscle and joint issues when I fuck up.

Vitamin I.

I had the exact same problem, thought it was from squats too. Turned out that it was because i was over arching my lower back when i locked out in a deadlift. You should check that too.

Doubt it though, pain popped up immediately after last set of squats. I'll look into it though. Already a lot better today, and hopefully tomorrow it'll be fine

starting strength coach development program
    I agree with initial cold/icing during the waking hours for today. Icy Hot(TM) is my friend for sore muscles, beyond that which is merely a discomfort, when I go to bed. Things can really tighten up in the middle of the night and it can help you find a nice comfortable position to get to sleep in. The camphor/menthol can help to promote bloodflow and the warmth feels great. It also has salicylic acid, an analgesic, that can aid in pain relief. Good luck.

tim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast