starting strength gym

Thread: Troublesome elbows, concerned gym rats

Default Troublesome elbows, concerned gym rats

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Folks,

I need some advise from you guys.
    I have hit 235 lbs and still progressing linearly. So are my DLs. I am at 225 and i am sure i can jump 10 lbs this week.
    My presses and BPs are gone, though. My elbows are killing me every workout. The pain less every workout, but not enough me for to start hitting presses and bench again. So here is what happens -

I was already having pain on the inner side of my left elbow. Not anything to stop me from my workout, but just enough to be noticeable when I did pullups. A week ago, my left elbow started hurting bad during squats, the pain seemed to make my arm go weak. I struggled through the squat set and actually managed to add 5 lbs to my press. But this doesn’t seem to be the kind of pain that can be worked through.

So next workout, I raised my elbow as high as I could, stretched my chest between sets and the pain was noticeably less. However, I get sharp pains behind the elbow (where the triceps connect) when I bench press. Chinups are getting painful as well. The pain usually goes away 95% within 1 hour of the workout. I don’t know, I can continue the same course or take a break for a few days from BP and Press.

Funny thing is that when i popped a ibubrophen, the reverse woodchoppers and single cable curlers look at me like i am juggling cans of sarin! The old farts (65+) dish out disapproving glances and hushed whispers to trainers about how distracting I (minding my own business) am.
    Do you guys have suggestions?
    Last edited by metermanja; 01-11-2010 at 12:02 PM. Reason: additional info

Videos of form would be great. Also, by any chance do you play any sports?

If you've been lifting for any amount of time, weigh 235, and are deadlifting 225x5, you are doing something wrong. Seek a coach. There are many in this part of WA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLtEzGW6O5s

Please take a look at the video. Turn down the audio before hitting play. There was some woman running a salsa competetion in the basketball court.
    Sadly, my furious breathing scared away a very attractive bosu ball user at 0:51 sec.

Jacob,

I dont weigh 235, my wife has already promised to divorce me if i did.
    Sorry, my post was not clear. my squat hit 235lbs and DL is 225 lb.

1. Stop looking at the mirror.

2. Why are you doing a set of 3 on SS?

3. In regards to your elbows, are you using a closed (thumb around the bar) grip? Hard to tell in the vid. You are pushing them back very hard.

4. Watch the vids in Rip's forum again. At least on your first two reps, you are leg pressing the weight.

I'd watch some of Rip's vids, and get a set of 5 up for Rip to critique. A bit farther back would be a better angle.

As far as my comment about coaches in the area, Mike Street at CFE in Redmond, or maybe Jessie at Local's gym in Lynnwood (never met him myself) might be good for a session or two to make sure your form is dialed in.

notice how at the bottom your knees and shins slide forward? Find a way to stop this. The cue that usually works for most people is "knees out"

Your elbows are hurting you, but you placed the camera in a location that we cannot see where the bar is on your back or what your hands are doing. If your elbows are hurting, you may be carrying the bar a bit too low. Play with bar placement, grip width, and shoulder tightness. Stretch your triceps regularly. Find a foam roller and roll on the painful parts of your arms.

Default Update

Quick update -

1 - I think the pre existing elbow problems were aggravated by excessively low bar on some workout.
    2 - I have done a lot of stretches over the last 3 workouts.
    3 - I also tried keeping the elbow up in squats and the wrist straight.
    4 - Widened my grip, my thumb is on the break in the knurling.

All these have helped immensely and todays workout was almost pain free.

I want to take it easy on BP and presses this week to give more time for the elbow

Plan ahead -
    1 - I will attempt to bring the grip in so as to tighten the back, but that will have to be done gradually.
    2 - Continue chest stretches to improve flexibility.

Thanks for taking time to review my form.

starting strength coach development program
    Mmm, just an additional question about elbow pain. As i've said before in an earlier thread, i experience the same elbow pain as meter, but this only occurs when playing tennis. I think it still may be related to squat form so i was wondering how high the elbows should be to avoid this. Should we be trying to jam the elbows up as high as humanly possible while still maintaining chest up and the bar in the correct position?