starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to think when going into the hole (squat)

Default What to think when going into the hole (squat)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Is it wise to think of going straight down with your hips, or is it better to think of sticking your butt out so you get the right torso angle, but would this cause my knees to be too far back? Actually, is it possible to have knees too far back when your foot position and angle is correct?....

Quote Originally Posted by Aslin View Post
    Is it wise to think of going straight down with your hips, or is it better to think of sticking your butt out so you get the right torso angle, but would this cause my knees to be too far back? Actually, is it possible to have knees too far back when your foot position and angle is correct?....
    Depends. If the person is already "leg pressing" the weight (think 90% of what you see people doing in the gym), then I'll exaggerate my cue and tell them to reach back with their hips a whole lot. If their already reaching back too far with their hips to the point that there is very little if any forward knee travel, then I'll tell them to sit straight down between their thighs. The cue should fit the individual.

-Stacey

Everyone is different with which cues work for them. For me it's the thought of trying to "dip my nuts between my heels." This works to ensure I have sufficient forward knee travel at the top and can stay tight at the bottom. Your mileage will vary.

I think about shoving my knees out, and UP, UP, UP!

Thx, but is there anything wrong with the knees being back? does it stop hip drive etc?

Have you read Starting Strength? This is covered in good detail in the squat chapter. Forward knee travel needs to occur, to some extent, and it needs to happen at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgsolberg View Post
    Have you read Starting Strength? This is covered in good detail in the squat chapter. Forward knee travel needs to occur, to some extent, and it needs to happen at the top.
    Hey yeah i've just read it and it never says anything about it happening at the top, unless we're talking about trainees who's knees move forwad at the bottom. And thats why i'm asking, rippetoe never mentions why knees back is bad, he goes on about knees forwad and why not to have a narrow and wide stance, but not about knees back. Unless i missed somthing...

Reread the section around the TUBOW.

Quote Originally Posted by IWillLiveFreeOrDie View Post
    I think about shoving my knees out, and UP, UP, UP!
    This helped me a little.
    Dipping the nuts also helped a little.
    The thing that helped me the most is bar straight down and up, and Chest Up!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Aslin View Post
    Hey yeah i've just read it and it never says anything about it happening at the top, unless we're talking about trainees who's knees move forwad at the bottom. And thats why i'm asking, rippetoe never mentions why knees back is bad, he goes on about knees forwad and why not to have a narrow and wide stance, but not about knees back. Unless i missed somthing...
    My understanding is that squatting with shins too vertical will lessen the quadriceps involvement. We want the hamstrings involved in the squat, but we want the quads involved as well, so there should be some forward knee movement -- it just shouldn't happen at the bottom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast