starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of bastardising programme with accessory work..

Default Thinking of bastardising programme with accessory work..

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have spent a year training using the stronglifts programme. (I didnt know SS existed)

I suffer from chronic shoulder instability and what used to be extremely heavy impingement in both shoulders.

The stronglifts programme incorporated some form of rows, which is said to improve scapular stability/rotator cuff function. By strengthening muscles which retract scapulae and rear deltoids. (I always alternated these rows with power cleans whenever I had access to bumpers)

I felt significant improvement in my scapula stability & function as I progressed with rowing exercises.

My shoulders have always occasionally subluxed leaving me with painful minor tears & pinched tendons. This happened a few times during my first few months of training doing anything from bench press to power cleans.

I then took a short break and focused specifically on shoulder rehab/stability exercises like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0ONHZmsFec

When going back to the main lifts I began to spend at least a day each week doing scapula & shoulder stability exercises. I did them when I would have a 2 day gap from main training. I continued to feel great improvement in range of motion & stability. And can say that ive nearly 'cured' the right shoulder, while the left is still quite unstable.

Dips were another regular part of my stronglifts programme, which always made my shoulders feel good.

I have only recently become familiar with starting strength and want to follow the programming. I have begun to implement bits. I have only been to train once so far and I used the 3x5 reps and warm up set system. But was a little confused about what to regarding the exercises and kind of fell into my old stronglifts habits.

My main concern is whether the power cleans are enough of a back strength exercise to help continue stabilising my shoulders.

I have read what mark has to say about rows. and I would be extremely happy to focus on purely power cleans especially as I am extremely lacking in power/vertical jump. I just feel that exercises that work scapula retraction are of benefit to my problem as well as the specific rotator cuff work I have been doing. Things like rotation work, heavily weighted protraction retraction and things to target the rhomboids.

Dips also seem to simply feel great for some reason, I think it may be that it targets the subscapularis quite heavily which is a strong stabiliser of the humeral head.

So basically, as blasphemous as it might be. I am looking for ways to incorporate Dips & rotator cuff work.

The volume of SS is much less than stronglifts was and I never felt over-trained. My bench press never stalled like my other lifts, (even though dips were always done at the end of the workout.) One day per week of R.cuff work would be plenty and dips could possibly go after power cleans on workout B.

I was wondering how bad of a bastardisation this might be? Would these changes be so major as to ruin the function of the starting strength programming?

Thanks.

Aren't Presses doing anything for your shoulders?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post
    Aren't Presses doing anything for your shoulders?
    Short Answer, No.

Longer answer:

Presses were very uncomfortable to do to begin with. But I managed to reduce the heavy impingement I initially had with the specific rotator cuff work.

My shoulders were always a weak spot, I could not actually press the empty bar to begin with.

I very slowly progressed to around 32.5 kg, managing the odd few reps of 35kg on a 'strong day' But essentially I have not made any progress in presses in 7 months or so.

I find it difficult to use any of the strength on my left side due to the fact my left shoulder is much more unstable. So it only ever feels like im using right arm to press the bar up.

I tried switching to dumbells but ended up getting subluxation & tearing. But I may have been overambitious with weight selection.

I suppose presses with dumbells could be an option if I started very light. It may provide extra stability work and balance effort on the left. The problem is my right shoulder/arm is able to lift much higher weights.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    My main concern is whether the power cleans are enough of a back strength exercise to help continue stabilising my shoulders.
    $10.00 says he hasn't read the book.

Quote Originally Posted by PVC View Post
    $10.00 says he hasn't read the book.
    Its in the mail, but I have read a good deal of it already.

In the book mark makes out that the cleans are for converting squat strength into athletic power. I dont remember it even mentioning that it was even used as a strength/mass builder.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    I have only recently become familiar with starting strength and want to follow the programming. I have begun to implement bits. I have only been to train once so far and I used the 3x5 reps and warm up set system. But was a little confused about what to regarding the exercises and kind of fell into my old stronglifts habits.
    I can understand your frustration with lack of progress. Have you seen someone about your shoulders? Chiros?

Let's try this. Before you fuck with the program, use it for a while. If you feel like you can do more, then up the weight. Don't add more sets. It's that simple. Warm up, then 3 sets of 5 reps using the same working weight for each work set. If you eat like a horse, work like a mule, and sleep like a dog, you'll be strong as an ox soon enough.

If you eat like a horse, work like a mule, and sleep like a dog, you'll be strong as an ox soon enough.
    I like that.

Had an x-ray done recently, and it looks like I have a pointy calcification on the scapula where the GH joint is. This would obviously cause impingement & discomfort but not the consistent instability.

I have an MRI scan due in a few weeks. I am rather untrusting of the doctors, if they recommend surgery I am unsure whether I will even accept.

Age, height, what do you weigh, and what are your lifts?

starting strength coach development program
    Does your gym have access to lighter barbells? Often imbalances in limb strength work themselves out with barbell movements.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast