starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 13mm or 10mm? Belt Thickness???

Question 13mm or 10mm? Belt Thickness???

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Gonna order a belt very soon, which thickness should I go with and why? What considerations should be made when deciding?

I asked that very same question recently and I got this response. So I decided to go with the 10mm.

Brian

Perfect, thanks!

One other question, what size shoudl I get? I measured 37" at my navel with clothes on. L goes 29-40" and XL goes 33-44".

Depends: Are you done growing?

Will you wear it for O-lifts? I went with the smaller option. I didn't want extra leather flapping around when I do PC , C&J and snatches.

I might do a bit of o-lifting, but mainly I want it for squat, press and maybe DL. And I may do a bit more growing. Trying to maintain weight currenlty, but it's still creeping up on me.

I have both. The 13mm is almost two years old now, and it still doesn't feel quite broken in. I have never been able to get into a comfortable starting position for deadlifts with it. However, the 10mm fit perfectly out of the box, and I can use it for all my lifts. I'd recommend 10mm all the way.

It's tough to say, there are positives to both.

I like 13mm for really heavy squats, but the 10mm is more comfortable/pliable on a day to day, workout to workout basis.

I'd probably say 10mm for most people is going to be plenty, especially if it's a sturdy cardillo or inzer belt.

Cool, so it seems the 10mm is the better choice for an all around training belt. Thanks all!

starting strength coach development program
    I have a 10mm lever belt and a 13mm single prong and I actually like the 13mm better. I don't even wear the 10mm anymore. It gives me more support and isn't any less comfortable the 10mm. I also prefer the buckle because I like to wear it at a different tightness for different lifts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast