starting strength gym

Thread: I'm struggling

Default I'm struggling

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Currently I am 6" 210lbs on the Texas Method. My body fat percentage is around 20%. Recently I've been struggling on my upper body work. I've now gotten to the point where I'm gaining weight, but not getting stronger. I've been stuck at 185 for 5 reps for a couple weeks now even after a reset. The high intensity work is showing some signs of press improvement. I know that eating more is an option, but if go up to 220 and still can't bench my body weight at least for 5 is it really worth putting myself in a bigger weight class with such a small bench?.

How is your form? And do you do any assistance work for your upper back? Chins, DB rows, etc?

How large was your reset and were you currently micro-loading after your set?

Quote Originally Posted by Bergie View Post
    Micro loading got me when i was stuck at 225, I also re-read SS and corrected my form.

Also seeing as how your on texas, it might be wise to go for a 2 or 3rm on the intensity day.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sousa View Post
    How is your form? And do you do any assistance work for your upper back? Chins, DB rows, etc?
    On Wednesdays I am doing three sets of chins to failure. Last Wednesday (Jan 6th) I was able to do 9,6,7..

Quote Originally Posted by Bergie View Post
    I reset to 160 lbs. My gym doesn't have micro plates, I made 5 lb jumps to 185.

Quote Originally Posted by WaWa Bird View Post
    I think we found the problem. This was around the time that I had to microload.

Quote Originally Posted by WaWa Bird View Post
    By 6 2" washers from Fastenal. It will cost less than $15, and you will be able to make 1.25 pound jumps.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by IWillLiveFreeOrDie View Post
    By 6 2" washers from Fastenal. It will cost less than $15, and you will be able to make 1.25 pound jumps.
    I second this. After messing with some rubberized 1.25 lb donuts for months, I just went and got the washers at Fastenal last week. Easy to use and cheap. Two of the 2" steel zinc-plated washers weigh 1.25 lbs, so you can buy 4 to make 2.5 lbs jumps (what I did, all they had in stock), or buy 6 to make smaller jumps. Gotta microload bench, in my experience - I've been able to get months of linear progress on it when 5 lb jumps were just too much.