starting strength gym

Thread: Form Check - Squat

Default Form Check - Squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Just finished my 6th SS workout and just wanted to get your opinion on my form. I realized after I got home my feet aren't really in the picture I can film again if that'd be best.

(WFS) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pCZbE3sStc

Raise/spread the chest.

Keep the elbows up.

Push the head back, not up, on the ascent.

Push the knees out in the hole, don't let them track forward when you reverse the movement.

Keep the arch/tight hamstrings in the hole, utilize the bounce and this will help keep the knees from tracking forward at the bottom.

Looks pretty good, though, just add weight, eat steak, rinse, repeat, be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Testiclaw View Post
    Raise/spread the chest.

Keep the elbows up.

Push the head back, not up, on the ascent.

Push the knees out in the hole, don't let them track forward when you reverse the movement.

Keep the arch/tight hamstrings in the hole, utilize the bounce and this will help keep the knees from tracking forward at the bottom.

Looks pretty good, though, just add weight, eat steak, rinse, repeat, be awesome.

So you thought it would be a good idea to just spout every single cue at him that you know regardless of whether he needed to hear it, yes? One cue would fix just about everything wrong with his squat: look DOWN.

Christ. Let's see, his elbows ARE up. His back IS tight and extended throughout. And his knees AREN'T tracking forward at the bottom, there just getting to their furthest point rather late, there's a fucking difference (one I can explain to you, if you want). I realize everyone wants to be helpful and contribute, but Christ, if all you're going to do is throw around generic instructions at specific problems, you'd be better off saying nothing at all.

Also, OP, where is the bar positioned on your back?
    -Stacey
    Last edited by nisora33; 01-13-2010 at 12:00 PM.

Default I agree

with Nisora on this one, OP. Look down as you squat and it will keep your back perfectly straight, keeping your posterior chain tighter. Everything looks good otherwise.

One cue would fix just about everything wrong with his squat: look DOWN.
    Agreed.

starting strength coach development program
    Might be good to squat within the cage... safety reasons. (although its a small cage).