starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting wearing a belt...

Default Starting wearing a belt...

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    ...and it is messing me all up on squats.

What the heck? I feel like i'm stronger during them, but it's like my form just tries to break down when squatting with it.

Obviously it is just because i'm not used to it, but how do I solve this problem? I don't want to keep squatting heavy(230 is heavy for me) if my form is gonna blow.

The belt should make form easier to maintain. Are you pushing out with your abs?

Bah, I dunno.

Maybe it is just distracting the hell out of me since i've never used one before.

Also, it is one of those crappy ass leather belts that is narrower on the side. I was only able to find one belt that was solid all the way around but it was a medium. My big ass ain't fittin' in that. So I was forced to buy this one until I can afford to get a good one.

Default I just got a belt too...

I just started wearing a belt too; Gary won the argument.

I've got to wear it really, really loose or it screws me up. Practice will improve me, I'm sure, but for now...

Try loosening it until it's comfortable squatting a couple of plates. Tighten it one notch next time, and so on.

First things first: make sure the belt is in the right place. Put the belt on somewhat loose and do some bodyweight squats, trying to maintain good form. The belt will move to a certain location. Tighten it up a bit, but not super tight, and add some weight, to the bar, e.g. go to 95lbs or 135lbs. Do a set there, see if the belt moves. If it does, repeat. If not, remember that spot, get the belt tight, and practice.

Quote Originally Posted by JCavin View Post
    ...and it is messing me all up on squats.

What the heck? I feel like i'm stronger during them, but it's like my form just tries to break down when squatting with it.

Obviously it is just because i'm not used to it, but how do I solve this problem? I don't want to keep squatting heavy(230 is heavy for me) if my form is gonna blow.
    How does your form break down? Are you trying to remain more upright now that you have the belt on? I used to do that. Make sure it isn't too tight, and just really focus on shoving out the knees.

Quote Originally Posted by JCavin View Post
    Bah, I dunno.

Maybe it is just distracting the hell out of me since i've never used one before.

Also, it is one of those crappy ass leather belts that is narrower on the side. I was only able to find one belt that was solid all the way around but it was a medium. My big ass ain't fittin' in that. So I was forced to buy this one until I can afford to get a good one.
    The belt won't do a thing for you if you don't use it. You don't just strap it on at an arbitrary level of tightness and hope for the best. You put it in the position and at the tightness that gives your abs something to do. That's what the belt is for; to give your abs something to do, something against which to push. The belt is there to allow your abs to work harder and to get your squats heavier. If used properly, your abs will be doing more work and the intra-abdominal pressure they generate will make keeping the correct back angle more automatic (I hesitate to say "easier to maintain" because too many belt detractors are always lying in wait to accuse the belt of making things easier; the back angle is more efficiently maintained because the abs get to contribute more).

So take the advice already given. Put the belt where your abs can push against it. Tight enough so the abs can exert pressure, but not so tight that you constrict the abs and prevent contraction.

Quote Originally Posted by elVarouza View Post
    First things first: make sure the belt is in the right place. Put the belt on somewhat loose and do some bodyweight squats, trying to maintain good form. The belt will move to a certain location. Tighten it up a bit, but not super tight, and add some weight, to the bar, e.g. go to 95lbs or 135lbs. Do a set there, see if the belt moves. If it does, repeat. If not, remember that spot, get the belt tight, and practice.
    So my first set with a belt was "light" for me (about 3 weeks ago). I warmed up for my work sets at 275, and then went for my 3x5 with the belt. I got one set with my torso too erect (belt worn too low), and it pinched my oblique blubber so bad that it was bruised for a week. Next set, my poor form caused me to bail out.

I tried a similar method to the one above (in the quote), and haven't had an issue since. Also, watch Rip's video about breaking in a belt. This really helped get the belt to be more comfortable. Anecdotally, I've never felt better squatting than I do now. Get used to your belt and it will treat you well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgsolberg View Post
    So my first set with a belt was "light" for me (about 3 weeks ago). I warmed up for my work sets at 275, and then went for my 3x5 with the belt. I got one set with my torso too erect (belt worn too low), and it pinched my oblique blubber so bad that it was bruised for a week. Next set, my poor form caused me to bail out.

I tried a similar method to the one above (in the quote), and haven't had an issue since. Also, watch Rip's video about breaking in a belt. This really helped get the belt to be more comfortable. Anecdotally, I've never felt better squatting than I do now. Get used to your belt and it will treat you well.
    I was so happy that something like this existed I wanted to save people the trouble (11secs of trouble?) of finding it themselves! Thanks Sgsolberg!

http://vimeo.com/8390351

starting strength coach development program
    umm.. without yelling and screaming and going all high and mighty..
    discuss how the belt is any different to using wrist straps.
    both are used as an aid to lift heavier weight right?
    but if the rest of your body parts (core in regards to belt and grip in regards to straps) are left behind, why would you want to lift more and get stronger in some things (squats and deadlifts) and have weak points like core and grip?

I read Gary's gear article and completely disagree with all his reasoning except maybe the fact about keeping joints warm.

I like to lift raw (no not naked).
    if getting higher squat numbers means wearing something to do it at the same time leaving an area weak, I'd rather take longer to get there.

most people (I say most because there are a number of people here who compete) here are trying to get stronger.
    they are doing a squat as an "exercise" to get stronger all over.
    they are not doing the squat as an "event" to win a comp.
    So no belt or gear should be used..

my opinion only.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast