starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tore My Hamstring/Starr Rehab

Default Tore My Hamstring/Starr Rehab

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Its relatively minor compared to some of the ugliness on google image searches. I did it doing part of Defranco's agile 8 where you lay on your back roll your legs over your head then roll back down into v-sit. Some girl was on the only C2 so I didn't bother getting warm, and sure enough on about the 3rd one I heard and felt a loud rip that couldn't be anything good.

I cut back on volume that workout and did back off front squats followed by some light back squats to see how it felt, and it felt much weaker and enough to stop me from going after my 5x5.

This is my first experience with a tear or I would have left the gym immediately and iced it.

It happened Monday evening, walking was semi tender but easily manageable yesterday, and today I can walk fine. BW squats feel fine except for a little twinge when I get to about a quarter squat.

SLDL and hamstring stretches, however, let me know it is still there.

I'm going to start Starr rehab on Friday, Barx25x3, then go up 10 lbs a day for 10 days straight. The movement will be squats. After the 10 days, I will 15 for a day, then 10 for day, then have a shot at some moderate 5s (~75% of 5rm). I might have forgot a day, but I have it planned out on a piece of paper, but its the recommendations in the sticky.

Has anybody used the Starr protocol and how would you judge the success rate? Any general experiences, advice, or comments are welcome as well.

I'm also wondering if I should do some SLDL or maybe even box squats to hit the hamstring a bit more, as the squats feel alright and don't cause a whole lot of pain, while the SLDL will leave me a wincing a bit.

Thanks.

This also happened after I started talking shit about Crossfit in the Crossfit thread, so maybe I should learn to keep my mouth shut and maybe less bad things will happen to me.

Since nobody had anything to add, I'm going to log my rehab and status in this thread for the next 14 days in case somebody else happens to encounter this situation.

If this is unacceptable to the mods, please tell me to stop.

Also, Please feel free to comment or add your own experiences.

Original Injury was D-4 Days from Day 1.

Day 1:
    Warm Up:
    C2 3x300 m, Damper = 2 x2 and Damper = 7 x1 , Felt Fine

Stretch:
    Bulgarian Split Squat Stretch
    S2S Leg Swings... Cursed out loud first one and promptly quit

Back Squat:
    Barx25x3, Felt OK

Bike Video Game:
    Course Dusk Cruise? in 8:39

ICE

...Felt a bit worse after due to possibly re-aggravating it on the leg swings.

Day 2:
    Warm Up:
    12xBW Good Mornings + 5 Pulls Ups x 3

...Good mornings hurt

Back Squat:
    45x25, 50x25, 55x25
    w/ a set of 10 pull ups in between each

...Squats felt better each set

ICE

I'll start foam rolling tomorrow or Monday and maybe do good mornings standing on a monster mini band w/ increasing frequency throughout the day at work to get some blood moving since I sit on my ass all day.

I'll start training around this Monday with higher reps and attempt to avoid anything heavy while this heals.

I followed the advice in the injury sticky when my shoulder started really hurting the other week. I was amazed at how quickly the problem resolved itself.

Good luck with your recovery!

Quote Originally Posted by IWillLiveFreeOrDie View Post
    I followed the advice in the injury sticky when my shoulder started really hurting the other week. I was amazed at how quickly the problem resolved itself.

Good luck with your recovery!
    Thanks. It feels like its coming along but there is still a far way to go.

Day 3:

Back Squat:
    45x25, 55x25, 65x25

ICE

Whole back of leg is slightly sore in morning which I haven't felt before. I'm considering it rehab pain.

Day 4:
    Missed

Day 5:

C2 2x300m
    Samson Stretch

Back Squat:
    45x25, 65x25, 85x25

3 Sets of 10 Chins
    3 Sets of Reverse BB Curls
    3 Sets of BB Curls

C2 2x500m @ 1:55/ ...Cut it short as hamstring started hurting slightly

ICE

Feeling slightly better. Walking feels good, even up and down stairs, and did some light standing jumps a bit yesterday and those felt fine too. But its still sore in stretched position.

Day 6:

C2 3x300m
    Slow, Easy Leg Swings... Tender and Tight

Back Squat:
    65x25, 75x25, 85x25

DB Presses

C2 2x1000m @ 2:00/500m pace

...Met two serious powerlifters who have a nice setup going in one of their garages. I was invited to train Friday, which I am looking forward to. I was so excited I messed up the loading.

...Feeling much better, but still tender when stretching.

Day 7:

C2 3x300m
    w/ samson stretch, fire hydrants, and glute activation in between
    Slow, Easy Leg Swings
    ...still tender

Back Squat:
    65x25, 85x25, 105x25

4 sets Low Incline DB Presses + BB Curls
    3 sets Cybex Pulldown + Seated DB Ext Rot

Back Extension:
    BWx15x3
    ...uninjured hamstring got a burn while injured felt nothing

Pain has 'dulled' or whatever Rip called it in the sticky. When I wake up, I am a bit sore from my butt cheek down to the back inside of my left knee. Last squat set felt nothing in terms of hamstring pain, while previous two were a bit painful.

Still trying to take it easy, but I may end up benching heavy tomorrow.

I wonder if you're favoring the leg a bit, strange that you felt it more in the healthy hamstring. I'm no expert in this.

starting strength coach development program
    It was a 90deg extension machine and the first time I've been on it since the injury. I may have been favoring the right leg and really hesitant to pull through the left hamstring. But looking back, I was doing the reps slow w/ a bit of a pause for the 1st two sets. I think I would have felt some uneven fatigue in the low back, which I don't recall.

I'm not ruling out the possibility though and I think the back extensions will only serve to keep my lower back in working order so I can resume where I left off on the deadlift when I get back. I don't get a full hamstring eccentric even if I try to make it more of a hip extension.

For the squats, now that there is enough weight on the bar to feel, I have been real strict w/ practicing form and really working on an even hip drive instead of just banging out the reps. I expect some form improvements out of what will amount to ~14 days of continuous squatting practice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast