starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Form check before I start getting back in to heavier sets please.

Default Form check before I start getting back in to heavier sets please.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Coach.

I was hoping to get your analysis on my 3 main movements before I start lifting heavier to ensure I'm going about them correctly or if I need to make changes.

Appreciate any feedback.

weight is in KG (australia) so times 2.2 for pounds I believe.

oh umm.... ignore the background sounds, I've got 2 other members of my home gym who happen to be Labradors.

Squat
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o87bwDEY_Fg

Bench.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDYAYaXQtYc

Deadlift
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aDa2ucZ3GI

Thanks.
    Last edited by TTT; 01-13-2010 at 10:46 PM.

Squat and bench look pretty good. The deadlift is coming off the floor forward of your mid-foot and is not getting back into balance until lockout. Raise your hips a little bit, roll the bar back to your shins, and squeeze your chest up, and then push the bar away from the ground.

Will try this with deads on Monday and record it to see if it's better.
    thanks for your time.

Tomorrow I've got press and cleans so will see how embarrassing they are.

Feet don't look to stable on the bench..

Default Bench press question

Perhaps I need to go back and read SS, but shouldn't the feet be firmly on the ground for the bench press? The feet in this video seem to be just using the toes to touch.

Is that a variation used for some specific training purpose?

-Andrew

The bench position seems pretty solid, but I'm curious if having only the balls of your feet on the ground will affect you at heavier weights?

So I recorded my presses and Power Cleans this morning..
    I don't need to post them as I can see a few problems with the PC myself at the moment.

as the saying goes.. "When the elbow bends, the power ends"
    need to re-read and start fresh for PC I think.

The press Looks ok.. I just need to mount the camera somewhere that gets it in the picture properly.
    will do it next time.
    Monday I'll have deads and will try to incorporate the above help and re-film to check.

thanks

Rip,

I looked at his squats and it appears that the feet are pronating at the bottom. Would this indicate a problem? I would think that there could be some knee collapse inward, but you can't tell from the angle.

Matt

re: bench - unfortunately, the bench itself is a little too high for me.
    To be able to press my back hard in to the bench, I need to be up on my toes.

I need to make a decision to either:
    replace bench with a Lower one
    buy/make 2 blocks for the feet to be able to keep them flat while pressing my back in to the bench.

I was also getting a cramp in my right hamstring towards the end of my set which might also have something to do with them moving.

What angel is preferred for filming of the movements for better judgment of form?
    I figured that side on would be best for deads,squat and bench, but I didn't consider that you may need to see the feet.

I will film on a 45 degree angle tomorrow morning for the squat and side on for dead while trying to incorporate what RIP has suggested.

starting strength coach development program
    I thought you're supposed to have heels off a little? Bring your feet back so that you can't get your heels down, but you're trying to push them down as hard as you can. This tightens the legs, creates the leg drive, gives a nice arch and plants the upper back into the bench.

Can't remember what SS says about bench technique, but I'm fairly sure this is how some powerlifters bench.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast