starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting the bar even across your back in squats

Default Getting the bar even across your back in squats

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This is probably less than totally helpful without a video (maybe I'll film something tomorrow or Friday), but I have the damned hardest time just keeping the barbell level on my shoulders in the squat. I am guessing (strongly) this has to do with the fact that I have a retroverted right hip, i.e. the femur projects differently on the right side such that I'm comparatively externally rotated even at the same foot angle. I can compensate for this to some degree by internally rotating the right foot a little relative to the left, but still I'm left with a semi-crooked mess.

As such, I figure other people might have at least had the problem of getting the damn bar even. I suspect it has something to do with uneven shoulders and/or asymmetric flexibility, but even when I enforce what seems like an even grip, the bar will still tip to one side. This is probably a compensation pattern related to my right leg being functionally longer than the left (right hip is hiked as a consequence of the hip weirdness). I've tried actually raising the left leg a little (standing on a slightly raised surface) but this doesn't really seem to fix anything.

Any solutions etc that people have discovered for this would be greatly appreciated

My solution is to get over being a form-fag.

Quote Originally Posted by PMDL View Post
    Troll'd

Same here. I think i got an even position on my back but it still seems unbalanced sometimes. Don't shoot me for saying this, but it was a lot easier getting an even position when i squatted at my uni gym where the squat rack was in front of a mirror. I just get into an "even" position and check left and right to see if the ring landmarks on the bar seem to be the same distance from both my shoulders.

I'd like to hear how some people try to keep it even,

I'm unbalanced depending on which side my dick is hanging.

Quote Originally Posted by PMDL View Post
    Agreed.

I had a pretty severe knee injury on my right knee. Sprained MCL, instability, extreme effusion and muscle wasting. Caused serious bar dip on the right side. I just paid attention to it to keep it under control. It's much rarer now. Not sure if this would help. Just throwing it out there.

Walk up to the bar placing the center knurling at the center of your chest.
    Set your hands on the bar.
    Dip under the bar, and place it on your back.

It should be right in the center.

Quote Originally Posted by confuzzl3don3 View Post
    Same here. I think i got an even position on my back but it still seems unbalanced sometimes. Don't shoot me for saying this, but it was a lot easier getting an even position when i squatted at my uni gym where the squat rack was in front of a mirror. I just get into an "even" position and check left and right to see if the ring landmarks on the bar seem to be the same distance from both my shoulders.
    I have this problem too. My shoulders probably don't have identical flexibility, so even though I set my hands at identical positions on the bar my body is not always directly centered. My solution to this has been to feel whether the bar is balanced before I start my set, and if it isn't I rack it and reposition. It can be a bit mentally draining to do this, but it's much better than squatting unevenly.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by IWillLiveFreeOrDie View Post
    Walk up to the bar placing the center knurling at the center of your chest.
    Set your hands on the bar.
    Dip under the bar, and place it on your back.

It should be right in the center.
    The problem is really that it's centered, but I'm not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast