starting strength gym

Thread: squat for check please

Default squat for check please

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Coach,

I'm a novice 5'9" lifter and I've been following the starting strength routine since July. I had one big sidetrack in late September/early October which pretty much reset me back to the beginning. I was in a car accident which jacked up my hips/lower back a little.

I started out in July at around a 185 bodyweight and I'm currently at about 215.

I'd appreciate a frank and critical evaluation of my squats in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw7ZwUoEZn8

Of course, I've never seen you give anything less than your frank opinion, so I am sure I don't need to worry about that.

I am mostly wondering about the slight bob my knees seem to do as I get out of the hole. Is that amount acceptable or is that indicative of some problem? I'm always very conscious of trying to keep my knees from sliding forward at the bottom, am I actually doing it right?

The second half of the video is my deadlift, but since some moron took the video from the front I'm not sure how useful that vantage point is.

Thank you very much for your time.

-Andrew Spangler

This is a very strong high-bar squat. But it's not what I coach.

Isn't saying that an opinion should be frank redundant?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is a very strong high-bar squat. But it's not what I coach.
    damn.

I keep trying to get lower on my back however I have several severe shoulder injuries from the past that limit my mobility. The flexibility has increased since I have started SS (although if I'm not doing the squat as you coach am I really doing SS?) but clearly it isn't good enough.

I'll keep working at it and post another form check video when I hopefully have it corrected. Thank you for your time.

Default thanks again coach

I have read "The Squat, or How I Learned How to Stop Leg-Pressing and Use My Ass" again and will make an extra effort to get the bar in the correct location. Do you expect that I will be able to continue with this weight making that transition or in your opinion would I be better served by lowering the weight while trying to make this transition?

I think I had been more concerned with not letting my knees slide forward at the bottom and making sure I had proper depth and didn't pay enough attention to the bar position. Whenever I reviewed my own videos (usually once a week I video myself) I always am watching my knees. That is what I get for training at a GloboGym where I'm the only person doing these lifts though.

Thanks very much for the time you put in on these boards reviewing form for people.

-Andrew