starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mikes SnC/Power--Texas Method

Default Mikes SnC/Power--Texas Method

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello all! Very happy to be participating. I'm a military dude (AF 16yrs.) who has done a lot of different protocols to include CrossFit. Consider me a generalist for the most part. I've been a practitioner of the Olifts for about 13 months now and have used Coach Ruts MEBB since Oct 09. Mixing it up is not a problem. I have a gym at home and my work place has a nice set up. When I go out of town I can usually find a bar and weights--so I work DL, CLNS, PRESS and SQTS. It's been a mixed bag of Performance Menu, NoviceSS and MEBB. Much thanks to those fine programmers!

I'm moving onto the Texas Method (3day a week) for a couple months. I'll detail my progress below in hopes it helps someone or in turn someone can provide me some genuine guidance. If anyone is interested I have the next 30 days programmed out in excel...i can send it your way. My stats are below. I'll be posting some vids soon.

HGT: 6'5"
    WGT:220-230
    GOALS-Strength and Power

1RM's in lbs.
    BACK SQT-275
    DEADLIFT-410
    PRESS-140
    PWR CLN & JERK-225
    SNATCH-165

JAN 18 TM session (not sure if this day should be 80% or 85%) in Practical Programming Pg. 179, 1st para, it states for TM, Wed should be Low Vol/Low Int, suggested @ 80%. 80% is Med Int. to me. Low would be about 70%.
    BACK SQT-5X5 @ 80%
    WGT RING PUSH UPS-5X5
    PWR CLNS 5X3 @ 80%
    DEAD LIFT 1X5 @ 80%

You should continue the novice program for at least a month or two more, even if you do the 3*5 twice a week. You're underweight for you're height, im about 6'4 and it was only until I got to about 265 that I started to gain some proper strength from the program.

Beast thanks for the concern. I’d say your characterization of my height to weight ratio is just that…a characterization--No offense meant. Believe it or not some BMI’s have me as borderline over weight. I’ve been heavy (245/250)…heavy and I don’t get along. I’ve got physical requirements for my occupation and being heavy doesn’t fit well. Being strong and power do along with being able to run a bit here and there with kit. Having a solid strength to weight ratio is IMPORTANT!

If you look at my numbers I’m just right at about the intermediate weights, thus the programming approach. Also I’ve been involved in some form of formal conditioning for the past 16 years. If you don’t mind me asking, what’s your SnC background, are you a coach?

Hi Mike,

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
    SNATCH-165
    Congratulations on that.

Can I ask you why you are planning to move to TM for just two months, rather than taking it for as long as it will give you progress ?

IPB

Mike i'm sorry but you're squat and pressing numbers show someone who has being doing weights for about 2 months. Im not a coach, its just i did the same mistake as you. However you're deadlift and pulling is quite good compared to you're other lifts, so i'm sure you're capable of getting much stronger on your other lifts. How come you don't list your bench? Is is not functional enough? Sorry couldn't resist. You are a strong guy, just don't waste it!

Thanks
    Last edited by beast; 01-20-2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Logged out due to power running out and had to re-type

IPB-thanks for the props on the snatch. I worked hard on that and was told in the beginning it couldn’t be done considering my age, height and lack of experience.—it took about 10 months as a beginner and mostly self taught. I did have some coaching at SD CrossFit, Online w/ Coach B, and Nate Holiday.

I’m taking a seasonal perspective on this. I’m really not interested a this time in gaining a 350+BSQT…I know that might sound a bit contradictive to the programming but it is what it is. I still have Olifting goals I want to reach by the end of the year plus like I said in my post above I really can’t camp out on the pure strength moves for months at a time. I have occupational and testing requirements throughout the year that require me to have higher oxidative capacity than just pure strength.

With all this said I’d be totally interested in hearing folks take on the ability to kill both birds with one stone. I’m a competitive dude and I’m looking for respectable results on both ends (oxidative/strength). I know to some that might sound unreasonable but I believe it can be obtained. Thanks for the comments!

Beast-Blending Olifting gains and strength gains as an amature is a tough gig. Progress on one end or the other is going to suffer. That’s life for me I know this. I can tell you though that once I became proficient in the Olifts all my physical abilities starting firing off. If you look at my lifts as a whole and understood my other physical capes I’d say I’m doing alright for a husband, father of 3 girls and a fulltime mil. dude. I will admit my BSQT is weak comparatively speaking…that’s why I’m here brother.

Bench is not listed for several reasons. I’ve seen a lot of dudes get hurt push weight in that manner. I do weighted push-ups because I’m tested on the standard version of those. The movement is more practical to my everyday life…getting in the prone and pushing up from the dirt is part of my life. Finally, I efn hate the bench press…always have. I’ll leave it at that…keep training hard brother!
    Last edited by Mike H; 01-20-2010 at 03:56 PM.

WED 20JAN TM SESSION

LOW VOL/LOW INT.
    FRONT S.QT-3X3@65%
    PRESS-3X3@65%
    BACKEXT/GHR-5X10
    WGT SITUPS-5X15 @45LBS W/BODYARM.+PLATES
    DBL UNDERS 5,10,15,20,25,20,15,10,5

NOTES:Felt good this morning not great. Sleep is an issue at times. Food intake good though. Speed sets on Fri.

Mike

FRI JAN22

LOW VOL/HIGH INT.
    SUBBED SPEED SETS

BOXSQT 24" 10X2 @ 155# - 1min rest
    WGTED PUSH UPS 10X4 @ BODY WGT-30sec rest
    DEADLIFT 10X2 @ 265# -30sec rest

10X10 DBLUNDERS 30sec rest
    3xAMRAP PULLUP
    1X NO FEET 30' ROPE CLIMB

Felt Great! I like the first week so far. We'll see how Monday goes. Speed sets are a great idea. Thank you Ripp!

Mike
    Last edited by Mike H; 01-22-2010 at 03:59 PM. Reason: IPB said i had to use my hands for the rope climb.

starting strength coach development program
    hi Mike,

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
    1X NO HANDED 30' ROPE CLIMB

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but how do you climb a rope with no hands ?

IPB

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast