starting strength gym

Thread: Tell me about my squat form problems

Default Tell me about my squat form problems

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I recently began filming my work sets, and discovered that I'm not as good at getting full depth as I thought. If any of you fellas and ladies care to take a look and help educate me, I'd appreciate it. Sorry about the tight camera angles, I haven't yet found a good place to shoot from.

275 lbs x 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIHMXdFGXoA

280 lbs x 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eF5RMUNnzQ

285 lbs x 5, first set: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhjD2mtjbww

285 lbs x 5, second set: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAAbRR9y6S8

On the rare times when I do get deep, like the first rep at 185, I have a hard time getting out of the hole and I think that's made me gun-shy about subsequent reps. I'm sure I could benefit from the heel on a real lifting shoe, so rather than wait for the next shipment of Rogues I may spring for something else. I know the angle is too tight to see the big picture, but if you have suggestions I'm all ears. Right now I'm inclined to reset while I fix form, but let me know what you think.

Josh

August, your knees are caving badly enough that your weight is actually shifting to the insides of your feet. You're going to have to do a much, much better job at keeping them out. Also--while I can't be absolutely positive due to the tight shot--but your stance appears to (maybe) be too wide, and this may be keeping you from both hitting proper depth and keeping the knees out.

My recommendation would be to strip 15 or 20 pounds off the bar, ensure proper stance width, work on hitting depth and jam those knees the hell out at the bottom.

-Stacey

Quote Originally Posted by nisora33 View Post
    August, your knees are caving badly enough that your weight is actually shifting to the insides of your feet.
    Thanks for the advice - having just taken a look at the 185 lb sets again with an eye on the left foot especially, I'm disturbed by how bad that looks. The slightly wider stance was a recent adjustment I made in an effort to get more depth, but I don't think it's been productive. I'll see if I can get things back in line.

Your heels are clearly leaving the ground in some reps.

Practice squatting with toes up for a while, it will train you out of it.

August, I see many problems here, most of of which have been addressed by the others. You're not hitting depth, your descent is very slow, pretty much killing your bounce out of the bottom, weight shifting to your toes. Do you have flexibility issues?

Also, that girl in your 280 is fucking hot.
    Last edited by Mr.City; 01-19-2010 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Ass like butter, so sweet, so delicious

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post

Also, that girl in your 280 is fucking hot.
    Ai Chow WaWa! I just noticed.

Fuck squatting, push that dude out of the way and introduce yourself brother.

I had similar problems with my knees/depth that have since been remedied by increasing flexibility. This might work for you.

Also, I'd like to concur on hottness of said girl. Get on that.

I think you should get some weightlifting shoes.

I had the same problem as you, well, still have it to some degree, but felt the shoes helped a little bit.

Toad.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
    Also, I'd like to concur on hottness of said girl. Get on that.
    I'll leave that to you guys, I need to spend my time in the gym getting dad-strength instead of creeping on college girls. Plus I'm a big believer that when you mess around on your fa-sho' lovin tryin to get some mo lovin, you'll end up with no lovin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znPVqmALKJE - nsfw, language)

But seriously, thanks for taking a look everyone. I'll keep working on flexibility and do a reset to make sure the weight stays back on the heels and knees stay out.
    Last edited by August West; 01-20-2010 at 05:33 AM. Reason: raw language in the link