starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It feels like my head is going to explode

Default It feels like my head is going to explode

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Yesterday I did some ugly power cleans, so much that during one of the sets I almost blacked out. My arm were trembling and darkness closed in. I've been feeling fine for the most part today except whenever I bend over. It feels like a vice when I do, and afterward some pressure remains. I don't know what this and was wondering if anyone did or has had experience with this.

Go to a doctor. ASAP. I hope you feel better, dude. That sounds a little scary.

It's done this a few times before and I've been fine. I just want to know what's causing it.

This near-blackout didn't happen right after you racked the weight on your shoulders, did it?

It happens after I brought the bar back down to the ground. I did feel it some of it start when the rack happened though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post
    It happens after I brought the bar back down to the ground. I did feel it some of it start when the rack happened though.
    It's possible, then, that the bar is coming to rest too closely to your neck, and this is pinching off blood flow. I have done that before, and it's fairly alarming when it happens. But I've never had the after-effects last as long as yours have, so something else may be the problem.

-S.

I suspect my form may be the problem, however it feels better when I lay down.
    Last edited by Mr.City; 01-19-2010 at 10:48 PM.

Possible exertion headache? Maybe a cervical spine injury, or damage to the trap at the neck?

You need a doc, and probably a scan.

I get this from time to time when I am doing cleans or snatches at the end of a heavy workout. My head feels cloudy, I lose some of my equilibrium, and there can be some tunnel vision.

In Greg Everett's book on O-Lifting he says that this results from a spike in blood pressure, and he suggests learning to exhale a little bit at the top of the lift (though not enough to affect abdominal pressure). He also suggests bailing the lift as soon as you start to feel it coming on, for obvious reasons.

That said, I haven't had any of the lingering problems that you describe. It could just be a headache, but it may also warrant clinical examination.

starting strength coach development program
    It feels much better now. I will look into that though, Platus. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast