starting strength gym
Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The quest for BW press

Default The quest for BW press

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Yes, I can't press BW. It sucks and means I'm weak. It's all very sad. THis will change.

Unfortunately, I have trap or rhomboid or some other such muscle that will not relax and I can't press. I mean I CANNOT press right. Not that I shouldn't, or that I don't want to, but I can't pick up 135 (which I do 5x5) off the rack.

I will be spending the next 2 weeks doing star rehab, taking Vitamin I and seeing a Chiro.

Current bests

395 nearly ATG squats for 4
    415 deadlifts for 5
    165 OH press for 5
    235 bench for 4
    205 lb snatch
    265 lb C&J
    70+ pull up for 1 (neck to bar)

I started Starr rehab today. 3 sets of 25 bent over barbell rows and 10 minutes of foam rolling. So exciting. Maybe next time I'll take time off before it gets this bad.

1 armed db press 20 3x15
    lat pull down 60 3x20
    foam roll 10 minutes

I hate injuries.

Injuries do suck.

Since you said "quest for BW press," what is BW these days?

225 - 230

I found out more about my injury. The knot in my back aggravated my supraspinatus injury. Not sure what exactly the injury is (tear, strain, tendinitis), but the treatment is pretty much the same; ice, rest, mobility then strength training.

I'm trying to figure out what I can train (press is out but the goal remains, just delayed).

Ouch. I have shoulder problems myself, and am beginning to think there's a bigger cause to my biceps tendonitis than just overuse - that the transverse humeral ligament is actually sublaxed and that's allowing the biceps tendon to pop out of the bicipital groove in the ulna, causing all the grief. I was told that can actually sometimes be traced back to a supraspinatus injury as well. I currently weigh more and probably press less, but share the same goal, so I'll be watching your log and wishing you luck.

Jacob,

Do you use switch grip for deadlifts, if so, is it the arm with forward facing hand that has the bicep problem?

Yeah, I alternate for heavy stuff - anything over 365-405 depending on how I feel., and nope, it's the other arm. I flip my weak (left) hand around and my right is always overhand. The left I had surgery on and got the AC joint cleared up a couple years back, and is now pain free. The right is the one in pain, and probably has some spurs and pissed off tissue that will need to be cleaned up eventually.

Have someone check your form to make sure you aren't arm pulling. It's hard to detect with heavy weights, but if you are, that's probably the cause.

starting strength coach development program
    Finally back in the gym.

High bar back squat (less stress on the shoulder)
    45x5, 135x5 225x5 275x5x3

I fucking hate highbar. My traps don't give a good base so the bar sinks to my neck and hurts, and I have never read a good explinatation of the high bar like rips for the low bar, and every time I do it at work sets, my left knee (inside just under the head of the muscle and left hip flexor hurt.

DB press
    left arm 15 x10, 20 x10, 60 x5x3
    right arm 15x10, 20x10x3

1 armed deadlift (which is not good if one of your shoulders is acting up)
    135x5, 185x4

I think next time it will be ghd instead of the deadlift.

Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast