starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back Squat

Default Back Squat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Any tips or advice. I tried posting it to the Rip section twice but it never showed up.

285 x 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEZLK0M6R40

Thanks!

Steve, only problem I see is that the hamstrings are going slack when you get down into the hole. The hips are sliding forward toward the knees, bringing the hamstring origin point closer to its insertion point. Ham contribution drops at that point. The hams re-engage as you reach parallel going back up--that's why you see your hips sliding back and up at the turnaround.

You know what to do.

Stacey

Also, keep your head in line with your spine. You are looking up on the way out of the bottom.

Many thanks guys! Really appreciate it, 315 x 5 here i come!

One other thing I see, take a deep breath and hold it before you start your rep. You're taking short, shallow breaths (as evidenced by your stomach movement) between reps, which is fine, but take a deep breath into your gut and push out on your belt with each rep, and don't release it until your past your sticking point.

Also, arch that lower and mid back hard throughout the rep, your back is losing it's tightness. That will also help with hamstring tension as mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Collegio View Post
    Any tips or advice. I tried posting it to the Rip section twice but it never showed up.

285 x 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEZLK0M6R40

Thanks!
    I know I'm just a novice and my videos aren't stellar ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw7ZwUoEZn8 ) but it seems that on most of the reps you are ending up on your toes. Doesn't that kind of indicate that the push isn't coming from your heels and that your weight distribution is in the wrong place?

Please don't feel I'm knocking your form at all, as I said mine isn't perfect either, I just feel these videos are a great place to all learn from each other.

One last thing, your bar position seems to be similar to mine in the video I posted above and Coach Rip told me it was a high-bar position, so if you are going for a low-bar position as he coaches you may have missed it.

-Andrew
    Last edited by spangler; 01-20-2010 at 05:13 PM. Reason: added something

Yeah, I think they are high bar. It's hard to get that good of depth with low bar, not to mention keeping your torso that vertical.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
    Also, arch that lower and mid back hard throughout the rep, your back is losing it's tightness.

No it isn't. I can't be any more plain than that. His back is fine, did you even watch the same video as the rest of us? This is what I was getting at in my post of a few days ago. This nitpicking/seeing-things-that-aren't-there bullshit needs to stop.

-S.

Steve, only problem I see is that the hamstrings are going slack when you get down into the hole. The hips are sliding forward toward the knees, bringing the hamstring origin point closer to its insertion point. Ham contribution drops at that point. The hams re-engage as you reach parallel going back up--that's why you see your hips sliding back and up at the turnaround.

You know what to do.

I'm pretty sure that I'm doing the same thing.

What should he do? Widen his stance a bit, focus on knees out and sitting back?
    EDIT: Oh, and lower the placement of the bar?

I have a lot of bad habits that I'm having trouble correcting, and I would rather chew on a 5lb plate than reduce the weight on the bar.
    Last edited by cjangelo; 01-20-2010 at 08:21 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Looks like a great high bar squat to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast