starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belt Placement

Default Belt Placement

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am learning to use my new belt and am comfortable with it on the squat and press, but having trouble finding the sweet spot for deadlifts and powercleans.

Anybody want to share insight on how you set up your belt for pulling?

I use a smaller, velcro belt for pulling. My leather belt gets in my way too much on deads.

I only have one belt, EliteFTS Retro belt. I avoid the belt for cleans... I keep hitting the belt during the second pull (though I guess my bar path is nice, close, and straight). For deads, I like to get it nice and high on my back but lower in front.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgsolberg View Post
    I only have one belt, EliteFTS Retro belt. I avoid the belt for cleans... I keep hitting the belt during the second pull (though I guess my bar path is nice, close, and straight). For deads, I like to get it nice and high on my back but lower in front.
    Sounds about right to me.

This is where I find having a nice little gut from bloating and milk helps...

It keeps the front of the belt down for you.

Hi,

I wanted to get some advice about belt positioning, even though I do not have a belt yet!

I was wondering if the belt is supposed to come into contact with either your ribcage or pelvis?

Because I just tried on this random 2 inch wide military equipment belt I have and it digs into both hips and rips despite being half the width of a 4 inch weightlifting belt.

A proper belt would there fore cover both my hips and ribs slightly, I was just wondering if this is normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Hi,

I wanted to get some advice about belt positioning, even though I do not have a belt yet!

I was wondering if the belt is supposed to come into contact with either your ribcage or pelvis?

Because I just tried on this random 2 inch wide military equipment belt I have and it digs into both hips and rips despite being half the width of a 4 inch weightlifting belt.

A proper belt would there fore cover both my hips and ribs slightly, I was just wondering if this is normal?
    You have a 2" abdomen?

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    You have a 2" abdomen?
    Seriously,

I have bigger than normal hips.

Is a weightlifting belt supposed to cover the hips and ribs?

Because it seems anything over, 1 1/2" with do that in my case.

If you're talking about the belt overlapping your hip and floating ribs on the sides, that's not a big deal. I mean, when you say 'digs into' that sounds more like overtightening with a thin belt that is more likely to bite into the flesh. Go to a sporting goods store and try on some real belts(also keep in mind that you're not supposed to cinch them as tightly as possible), then do some moving around to see if anything digs in. The even-width 3" velcro belts are probably your best bet.
    Last edited by crc; 02-01-2010 at 12:36 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    I like lower in the bottom, higher in the back, same as Sgsolberg.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast