starting strength gym

Thread: Adding Hang Power Cleans to 5/3/1?

Default Adding Hang Power Cleans to 5/3/1?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Anyone have any suggestions on how to add hang power cleans into 5/3/1? I will be using a Triumvirate style template and I want to add the HPCs 1) to help build my yoke based on Wendler's advice and 2) as an upper back accessory. I'm thinking something like this could work?

Day 1:
    Press
    Dips
    Chins
    Hang Power Cleans

Day 2:
    Deadlift
    Good Mornings
    Hanging Leg Raises

Day 3:
    Bench
    DB Bench
    DB Row
    BB Shrugs

Day 4:
    Squat
    Undetermined leg accessory
    Weighted Situps

Thoughts? Thinking 5x3 for volume.

I would program them 5/3/1 style and do them before my deadlifts (just don't go for max reps). They use the same primary and secondary movers as the deadlift and will make warming up the deadlift a breeze.

Wendler mentions it in the book. I think he says to add them in before you squat or deadlift.

When Wendler was programming them I think that he used them on Deadlift day.

Cool, so there it is. I will start doing them on DL day at the start of the workout. If I feel they start to get in the way of my DL progress I will move them, but for now I'll see how it goes. Thanks all!

Not what you asked about, but shrugs are a pretty worthless exercise unless you deadlift 500#. If you want big traps the cleaning and deadlifting will get you there and the movement is so small that it doesn't really help your deadlift until you are so strong it makes sense to break it way down.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sousa View Post
    Cool, so there it is. I will start doing them on DL day at the start of the workout. If I feel they start to get in the way of my DL progress I will move them, but for now I'll see how it goes. Thanks all!
    As far as hang cleans go, why did you choose this variation over power cleans?

Quote Originally Posted by hatmanii View Post
    As far as hang cleans go, why did you choose this variation over power cleans?
    Purely for the purpose of developing my traps. It's the one aesthetic thing I care about I guess. Wendler advises the use of the hang variation for the following reason.

"I know some people aren’t keen on the Olympic lifts, but they are gold when developing the yoke. While the Power Clean/Power Snatch are OK, the “hang” versions are much better. This is because most people will use more upper body when doing hang cleans or hang snatches. I recommend doing them one time a week, for 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps. Don’t be afraid to use straps. The Olympic lifts were a big part of my program for a number of years and I credit them for building the foundation of a proper Yoke. Don’t be afraid to try clean grip snatches."

starting strength coach development program
    I guess my question was why do some abhorred shrug version of a clean (which is what Wendler is advocating) instead of actually doing power cleans to build explosiveness?

JMO, but you would be better suited doing high pulls from the hang rather than hang cleans if trap mass if your primary objective. Think triple extension upright rows.