starting strength gym

Thread: Colliflower's Log

Thumbs up Colliflower's Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello all, first post here. I'll start off with a little background info. I started SS on November 1, at 160lbs 6'1" tall and 20 years old. By new years I weighed 200 then weight gain started to slow as 200 pounds was my goal. I'm now around 206 and I just deloaded to dial in form and I feel now the lifts are all being performed correctly, exception with the power clean. It still feels funny.

In two months I gained 40 pounds and my lifts progressed as follows:
    November '09
    Squat- 115
    Bench- 105
    Dead- 135
    Press- 95
    P. Clean- 85

January '10
    Squat- 315
    Bench- 185
    Dead- 315
    Press- 130
    Clean- 165

Or somewhere close to those numbers. I'd say its time for me to keep track.

Today:

Squat- 265x5 x3
    Bench- 195x5 x2 +3 (I'll get you next time!)
    Dead- 300x5

I'm going to eat more animals and work up to 225lbs

Nice deadlift

Yesterday went well, squats felt great, presses light, and power cleans are definitely coming together.

Squat- 275
    Press- 110
    P. Clean- 155

Hoping to break through 135 on press this time w/o microloading
    I'll also take video of my squat once I get back up to 315.
    Stay tuned

Well Monday sucked. First day on a new job and didn't get around to lifting til night time.

Busted out my squats- 280x5x3
    While I was warming up bench I was surprised at how heavy it was getting at only 175. That with tweaking my back earlier I decided I was better off waiting 'til Wednesday.

Today was kosher:
    Squat- 285
    Press- 115
    P. Clean- 160

Went well and felt easy.

Friday I'll get that damned bench press

Been working all day long all week so I couldn't lift until Saturday; and I pulled something in my arm so I didn't get to bench. :'(

Squat- 295
    Dead- 305
    accessory work

This job I'm working is only going to last a few more days so I'll be back to normal real quick, I hate messing with and missing so much training

Squat- 305 3x5
    Press- 120 3x5
    Pwr Clean- 165 3x3

I'm having this elbow pain that has been hanging around for a month or two. I think it was aggravated from a friendly match of arm-wrestling (I know, right?). It rarely hurts bad and often hurts pretty good. I've looked at anatomy pictures online and am not too well versed on the subject but if I were to guess I'd say it was my anterior band or extensor tendon. The pain is pretty deep, near or touching my bone and its aggravated when I pull on stuff with an abnormal grip. (i.e. pulling fishing nets, dogs by the scruff, or plain ol' throwing the friends around) Deads don't aggrivate it and I believe it to be the rack on the cleans that sometimes hurts it.

It hurt after squats today for the first time. I felt my hand turn under the bar for a rep or two and the pain slowly started to come. I can feel it again now after pulling. Things like this normally don't worry me but its been rather persistant so I have a few questions.

Is this where an elbow would be injured from poor grip on squats?
    Any ideas on a good way to rehab? I've been viciously massaging it when it flares up, bad idea?

I'll watch my grip but I never had problems with it I'm usually pulling the bar down. Thanks in advance

Squats- 315
    Deads- 310

I've been having a problem with my deadlifts. Well not really but what I mean is I had found it hard to progress earlier on for some lame reason. I'm back up to where I was before my de-load and it felt great. The last rep was real tough, naturally, but I found overall it went smooth and I'm excited to keep upping it. Squats were good, right elbow hurt after though. I had nobody lifting with me today so I couldn't get a video.

Skipped bench again today. Wish I didn't have to, it's been a while since I've put up any amount of weight on bench. My elbow just can't take it, especially after todays squats. Should I just continue without bench until my elbow feels up to it, or should I try to sub something in?

Oh yeah, bw up and over 210 today.
    Last edited by Rodolfo Bryant; 02-06-2010 at 06:06 PM.

Squats- 320
    Press- 125 for triples. Without microplates I'm gonna try triples for a while.
    Pwr Cleans- 170

I tried bench today, did it before squats. Hurt my elbow a little but it was bearable. I was tired when it came time to squat..dunno if it was because I did them 2nd though.

Bench- 180
    Squat- 325
    Deads- 315

starting strength coach development program
    Been fighting a sickness for weeks and even though I'm on the home stretch it's still fucking with me.

I got new shoes today (vs weightlifting) and squats felt killer, superb bounce and depth. 325 last time was working at about a 9 or so with the new shoes I decided to squat at a little lower weight.

Squats- 305
    Press- 130 did a few sets of 3, failed again. Same weight as last time =/
    Pwr Cleans- 175 Did a set or two then I had to stop.

Micro plates are on the way, this friday I'll dominate this set of lifts.