starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check 5@390

Default Deadlift form check 5@390

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This is today's workset, 1x5 @ 390. Watching it, I recognize that I jerked the first rep off the floor too hard. Also, that pause before the 5th set was to adjust for a small tear on my palm. Other than those two things, I'm open to advice and suggestions. This felt a LOT stronger than I had expected, so I'm hoping I have a decent bit of linear progression left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7JHiFUnCV8

Quote Originally Posted by bugbomb View Post
    This is today's workset, 1x5 @ 390. Watching it, I recognize that I jerked the first rep off the floor too hard. Also, that pause before the 5th set was to adjust for a small tear on my palm. Other than those two things, I'm open to advice and suggestions. This felt a LOT stronger than I had expected, so I'm hoping I have a decent bit of linear progression left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7JHiFUnCV8
    Interesting thing here is that your low back is slightly rounded even before you start to lift the weight off the ground. This hasn't, obviously, resulted in a problem for you during all this time seeing as you've made it to 390 lbs. for five without (I'm assuming) having experienced an injury. At this point, I'm not sure how imperative it is that you try and fix this little idiosyncrasy.

You're right, these looked strong, and you appear to have quite a bit of progress left in you. Nice work.

-Stacey

I noticed that too. It's funny, when I deadlift, one of the only cues I'm actively thinking about is "set the back", and it doesn't look to me like the back really gives at all once it's set. But you're right, it looks like hard lumbar activation doesn't result in particularly extreme lumbar extension. I may take more video next time and see if I can force myself into a more extended position at the bottom.

I hope this doesn't come across as nit picking (don't flame me Stacey if it does), but it looks like the bar may be just a little too far away from you. I did the same thing when I was DL'ing in shorts, but noticed it and switched to wearing pants so I wouldn't be afraid of scraping my shins. Besides this and what Stacey pointed out you obviously have a strong pull and there's not much to critique.

Thanks Paul - I think you're right. Maybe time for some tall socks.