starting strength gym

Thread: Need some advice

Default Need some advice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So my programming has been going well. I've been moving up in weight on every lift.

The problem is that squats have been feeling really heavy the last 3 or 4 workouts. I don't think it is a strength issue since all my other lifts have been going up just as easily as before. I have also been using 5# increments for about 2 weeks, down from 10. This makes me think it is a form issue.

I'm just curious if this would be a good time to deload and how much I should? I was thinking that I should deload maybe 10 or 15% and concentrate on getting the form down while I move back up.

Rationally, this makes good sense to me. Deload a little, work on form and work back up. I just want to make sure i'm not just being a pussy.

I would keep it linear until you have stall. As long as it is moving up keep going.

Let me just clarify that I think my squats are turning into more of a leg press because i'm having a hard time using hip drive.

A couple questions. Could you post a video so some of the better eyes on here can see if there is a problem? The other question is how focused are you during your warmup sets? I found my form started to falter when I rushed through my warmups instead of using them as a way to drill in good technique.

I'm usually pretty focused, actually. My warmup sets always go well and are really easy and light.

This probably ties in with my new belt somehow. I never had any problems until I started using it, and I think this is throwing off my focus.

It's almost like adding that belt has made my mind think that it will prevent any problems that could occur if my form faulters. Almost like it is a crutch, except that I can't seem to make myself stop it. Really annoying.

Oh, and I don't have access to a video camera right now. Used to have one, but it isn't working.
    Last edited by JCavin; 01-21-2010 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Added the part about the camera

Do you use the belt during warmups? I know most recommend using it for lifts =>80% 1rm, but maybe it could help you get used to it if you warmup with it for a couple weeks? Trying to think of options to keep you from deloading.

starting strength coach development program
    I've only been doing it on my last warmup set. I'll try using it from the very beginning o see if it helps at all.

Thanks Paul.