starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Programming with PT

Default Programming with PT

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've started my Basic LE Training class and the PT gets into full swing next Monday. The schedule is three days a week, either MTW or MTR. According to the instructor the workouts will be very "Crossfit pain in the ass" style. I would like to keep up my linear progression but I am quite confident that recovery would be an issue. Any thoughts you guys have would be appreciated.

I assume you are doing linear progression on SS; what are you doing for conditioning right now? If you have not been doing any conditioning and jump to three intense sessions of conditioning a week on top of SS, I don't think you'll be able to recover.

If it were me I'd probably limit myself to 1 lifting session the first week, and if recovery feels ok jump to 2 the second. I'd then progress in a linear fashion, but doing just a single A and B SS workout each week. And you'll definitely need to focus on getting enough calories (GOMAD) and sleep.

I can sympathize with OPs predicament. For PT we usually run, and when we run its no less than 3 miles. Sometimes more. Plus, next Friday I've got a 5K, which throws a gigantic wrench into my training schedule..Definitely can be pretty frustrating, but what are you gonna do?

I would agree with the above suggested approach to linear progression. Perhaps another method would be to do the program at a certain weight. Don't add weight for a couple weeks and see how you feel. Then start adding weight per week, and if you still feel comfortable, start adding per session.

This is just my opinion, but perhaps after a couple months of this your body will get used to the PT workouts that you're doing and you'll adapt. Good luck.

The more shit you're doing out of the weight room, the less you can handle in it. So yeah, cut back to 1-2 sessions, at least until you adjust to the extra work load.

You might want to keep the work you do manageable by not trying to grind out PRs, too. Give it a few weeks to adapt and slowly work back into it.

It should go without saying but keep your calories up too.

Luckily my training had a solid strength component.. hopefully yours will too.

I'm assuming you mean you're starting an academy? If that's the case, after a little while you'll figure out what your body can handle and whether there are any gaps in training where you can get some strength work in.

Or you can just wait the 6 or 7 months and pick up where you left off...

Our strength component is body weight exercises. Our instructor told us that we'll never pick up a free weight and that, "You can get as strong as you'll ever need to be with just your body weight and the ground." We've done numerous varieties push ups, varieties of sit ups, crunches, air squats, burpees, lunges you name it.

It's really a pain in the ass because I was progressing really well on SS.

Are you in the USMC? Sounds like that sort of program.

No, law enforcement.

It's a tough trick slaying both strength and GPP. My advice especially in your position is to go with the flow of the academy. It's a lot to ask of person to meet the demands of the academy and being successful with your own physical expectations-(SS).

I'm active AF and can say from experience it's a losing battle in most cases. I've had small successes if involved in a small class that has a flexible environment when it comes to SnC or GPP.

Work with what you've got placed in front of you now brother and crush it! You'll have plenty of time to reflect on how you want to approach SS after you're past this stage.

Best,
    Mike

starting strength coach development program
    I'm Active Army, and do PT 5 days a week (2 crossfit/muscle failure, 1 ruck march, 2 runs). I am still able to do SS three times a week + triathlon training on Sundays. On a few occasions, I have been unable to finish a lift on a given day, but have always been able to complete it during the following workout (I add 5lbs. per workout). It is all about what you're body can handle, and how motivated you are to go to the gym after a long day of work.

I eat like a cow, 5-6 times a day, which helps with recovery.

The only thing that halts my normal schedule is 24 hour duty, which always causes me to miss 1 day, and field exercises.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast