starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Novice programming to Intermediate programming

Default Novice programming to Intermediate programming

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I believe a similar question was asked not too recently on this board, however I don't think a definitive answer was given regarding it, so here goes:

If one is unable to control certain aspects of his recovery, thus causing repetitive missed reps and/or stalling, should one consider moving to intermediate programming?

I am a career firefighter and I work a 24/48 hours rotating schedule, in essence I work every third day. Depending on call volume, I get little to no sleep at work, and meals can be iffy as well, on top of any added physical labor. Off shift, I eat like a horse and sleep like a rock.

However, I know that this unpredictable work/recovery/food schedule is affecting my training.

Would it benefit me to move to an advanced novice or intermediate style program to help cope with the recovery, or lack there of?

Man, the main rule to remember is that "if it gets results for your set of circumstances, it's fine".

Put that number one on your list, and put everything else below it. If it's working for your needs, then it's working.

If you can't get the novice progression to work for you, then do something that will.

You have a great point, which is what I kind of had in my head in the first place. Guess a little validation was needed. Thanks!

If I remember correctly, Rip's addressed by cutting your sessions from 3 times a week to 2 or 1 times a week.

Quote Originally Posted by hatmanii View Post
    Would it benefit me to move to an advanced novice or intermediate style program to help cope with the recovery, or lack there of?
    If intermediate programming will let you progress faster then you should switch.

A novice does the novice program because it's the fastest way to progress, but it requires proper recovery (food, sleep, etc), which you can't achieve right now. Therefore a less demanding program would let you progress faster, even if you could theoretically make greater increases with SS.

Hope I'm not talking crap here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post
    If I remember correctly, Rip's addressed by cutting your sessions from 3 times a week to 2 or 1 times a week.
    Yeah, two days a week of squat/bench/power clean and squat/press/deadlift on Monday and Thursday might suit you better than intermediate. Maybe give that a try, but do whatever works of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Force Production View Post
    If intermediate programming will let you progress faster then you should switch.

A novice does the novice program because it's the fastest way to progress, but it requires proper recovery (food, sleep, etc), which you can't achieve right now. Therefore a less demanding program would let you progress faster, even if you could theoretically make greater increases with SS.

Hope I'm not talking crap here.
    LOL at 5x5 Mondays as being less demanding.

HA, c'mon... you know you just eat, sleep and lift weights at the station anyway!

Sincerely,
    Your Brother in Blue

Quote Originally Posted by PMDL View Post
    Man, the main rule to remember is that "if it gets results for your set of circumstances, it's fine".

Put that number one on your list, and put everything else below it. If it's working for your needs, then it's working.
    No, our whole point here is to get the most efficient gains in strength given whatever limitations, if any, a person has with recovery.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JLascek View Post
    No, our whole point here is to get the most efficient gains in strength given whatever limitations, if any, a person has with recovery.
    So getting results isn't the primary metric now? Interesting.
    Last edited by PMDL; 01-23-2010 at 12:11 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast