starting strength gym

Thread: Leg drive...How about neck drive?

Default Leg drive...How about neck drive?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    ive read something at westside BOM that when benching, it says that you raise your neck from the bench and stare at the bar as it goes down and after it hits the chest you "slam" your neck to the bench to provide some extra stability/force.

has anyone tried this "neck drive" ? please tell me what are the benefits if any?

Sounds like it is begging for injury with very little real benefit.

Your neck is already providing support when placed against the bench, how would slamming it even help?

Thats actually how I bench and many do. I started this After I tore my rotator cuff and it has helped me stay much tighter and heal the injury and start to come back and regain strength. But your Not really slamming your head into the bench just pushing it back as you push the bar so it stays out in the groove the head doesnt actually slam the bench as your trying to stay TIGHT!!. It seems like a much more natural move to do if your actually getting as tight as you should in the upper back which most people arent.

Beware though. This is not legal in some of the more micro managed fed if your competeing

Without being able to try it at the moment, it seems like it would make me round my upper back and disengage my chest more.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stevens View Post
    Thats actually how I bench and many do. I started this After I tore my rotator cuff and it has helped me stay much tighter and heal the injury and start to come back and regain strength. But your Not really slamming your head into the bench just pushing it back as you push the bar so it stays out in the groove the head doesnt actually slam the bench as your trying to stay TIGHT!!. It seems like a much more natural move to do if your actually getting as tight as you should in the upper back which most people arent.

Beware though. This is not legal in some of the more micro managed fed if your competeing
    Phil, what do you think the risk of injury is to the neck with pressing your neck back against the bench hard? I understand that you don't want to SLAM the neck back, but even so...

-S.

On p. 90 of SS:BBT Mark actually advocates holding your head about half-inch above the bench to prevent cervical injury.

-Mike

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelReinke View Post
    On p. 90 of SS:BBT Mark actually advocates holding your head about half-inch above the bench to prevent cervical injury.

-Mike

Uhhh yeeeaAAH, I'm aware of that. I wanted to ask someone who's used the other method and whose taught others to use it his opinion, since I don't use it and have never taught it that way to my trainees, mmkay?