starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: “The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook”

Default “The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook”

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    BLUF: Has anyone here used this or a modified version of it, and how did it affect training?

After a long period of little/no training, I'm back in a SS cycle, fairly early and nowhere near my earlier PRs. I'm more than 30 pounds over the Navy's height/weight guidance, and will never be under again. I beat it by keeping my neck and waist in proportion, however, my waist is beating my neck in growth, and I have conspicuously too much fat (it squeezes over and under the training belt). Finally, I have the opportunity to compete in military PL meet in early May. I'd like to lose some of the gut without throwing a wrench into the training works. I've wondered about going ketonic in short bursts to eat into it, but my past experiments haven't been too fruitful.

To continue growing stronger, I can't slack the training too long, but I can't get hyuuuge and then cut, because along the way to hyuuuge some weenie with a tape measure can play Hell with my career. Is Lyle's method likely to help?

I know Geoff has done it with good results. It's in his log.

MC, thanks, I've now read his posts and despite results, the starvation involved gives me serious second thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by OITW View Post
    BLUF: Has anyone here used this or a modified version of it, and how did it affect training?
    I've used it a few times to strip fat off.

Training goes to shit any way you swing it, at least if it lasts longer than a few weeks and if you expect to keep up any kind of volume.

You may be able to maintain intensity, but work capacity is going to the gutter.

After a long period of little/no training, I'm back in a SS cycle, fairly early and nowhere near my earlier PRs. I'm more than 30 pounds over the Navy's height/weight guidance, and will never be under again. I beat it by keeping my neck and waist in proportion, however, my waist is beating my neck in growth, and I have conspicuously too much fat (it squeezes over and under the training belt). Finally, I have the opportunity to compete in military PL meet in early May. I'd like to lose some of the gut without throwing a wrench into the training works. I've wondered about going ketonic in short bursts to eat into it, but my past experiments haven't been too fruitful.

To continue growing stronger, I can't slack the training too long, but I can't get hyuuuge and then cut, because along the way to hyuuuge some weenie with a tape measure can play Hell with my career. Is Lyle's method likely to help?
    The fatter you are, the less the diet is going to impact your energy levels and stamina.

That said, listen to his guidelines for the workout. If you do more than he suggests, it will eventually get to you.

What I did recently while doing it and training for a meet was to cut my strength work back to two sessions per week.

Day 1: Cleans, OHP, DL
    Day 2: Bench, Squat

Pick a smart progression scheme that doesn't have you grinding out maximal efforts (this is just as important as controlling volume on cals that low). I used a plan adapted from Mike Tuchscherer's RTS system and my own 3-week wave cycle; I don't think the specifics matter that much as long as you're not blowing your wad each workout.

If your recovery can handle it, you might be able to get away with three sessions, but you'll really have to be careful. It's very easy to push past your limits.

I know I'll give it a try once I finish SS. Although if you're currently in the military, I don't think starvation would be too helpful. If you don't mind me asking , OITW, what's your carb and calorie consumption like? Are you adding any metcon?

+1 on what Matt said about the workouts. I scaled mine back to 2x per week with a fraction of the volume. I've probably upped the intensity a bit, but not so much that I am not recovered by the next workout. Basically I do three fairly heavy sets of three on each exercise with the exception of deads where I did one double and two singles.

I would like to do this for three weeks, but I may not make it. After 10 days it feels like I've been on it for a month.

Quote Originally Posted by misspelledgeoff View Post
    +1 on what Matt said about the workouts. I scaled mine back to 2x per week with a fraction of the volume. I've probably upped the intensity a bit, but not so much that I am not recovered by the next workout. Basically I do three fairly heavy sets of three on each exercise with the exception of deads where I did one double and two singles.

I would like to do this for three weeks, but I may not make it. After 10 days it feels like I've been on it for a month.
    Now I really want to try this. It sounds terrible and exciting at the same time.

I'm thinking about trying a "homeade" version of this starting in Feb. Based off of what I read on some fitday logs and the info on the net. Yes I am too cheap right now to buy the book. Goes like this:

Breakfast: 4 Slices Bacon, 4 eggs
    Lunch: Portion of Meat, Can of Green Beans
    Dinner: Portion on Meat, Can of Green Beans

Meat can be Chicken Breast, Pork Chop, Serving of Fish, Steak.

I know the fat wil be up there on some of the other cuts other than chicken breast but I figure this is my homeade try based on the info available so so what.

All that should put me at around 1200-1300 calories and appx 150-180G Protein.

Add 2x multivitamin and 6x fishoil and go for it!

See how that works for 2 weeks.

So then for lifting I figure I'll go ahead and do a CFWF split and on metcons do some interval sprints. (1600M 200m sprint 200m walk). So try that for 2 weeks and we'll see. I'll post it in my log if I decide to try this for a few weeks.
    Last edited by MRP; 01-24-2010 at 06:03 PM. Reason: added training schedule

You convinced to check out this book, Geoff. It sounds very interesting.

starting strength coach development program
    The severe caloric deficit scares me, I'd hate to lose months of strength training. I'm on a carb cycling approach right now on a plan written by Shelby starnes, losing 1lb a week without any strength loss.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast