starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Creeping fatigue

Default Creeping fatigue

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So in the last week or so, almost all my lifts have come to an ass-grinding halt. I've went from missing the last couple reps of my presses at 130 lbs to failing to achieve a single rep for two session in a row. My last deadlift session was a failure at 0 reps at 350 lbs. I just started to miss a few reps on my squat (315), which is really bad since I'm about to finish deloading my squats.

It's obvious I'm overtrained, but I don't know what's causing it. I get a decent amount of sleep (7-8 hours), and all my meals at the university dining hall are piles of meat with a glass of milk and whatever non-starchy veggies being served. I only deadlift every 5th workout and I've programmed light squat days on Wednesday, so I'm pretty clueless to what I'm screwing up here. I can't be finished with linear progression since these lifts are pretty lacking at 240 lbs. What could I be messing up?

what's your daily caloric intake?

No clue. I eat meat and vegetable until I'm full. I eat at a buffet style dining hall everyday, so I got plenty. My weight's stayed around 235-240 (water weight fluction I'm assuming) so I can't be eating on a deficit.

Talk to us about your generalized stress level. Think outside your training for a second and consider what, if anything, might be affecting your recovery otherwise. Constant low level stress could be the culprit here, in addition to whatever stress you're applying via lifting.

-S.

what does everyone think about ye olde "taking a week off"?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post
    My weight's stayed around 235-240 (water weight fluction I'm assuming) so I can't be eating on a deficit.
    but you also can't be eating on much of a surplus. I'm not sure if caloric intake is the issue, but I've always found that eating an extra thousand calories will help me push through a plateau or what I perceive to be a plateau on the horizon, i.e. nipping it in the bud.

Question: although your getting 7-8 hrs. of sleep, are you waking up feeling refreshed? Is this sleep pretty much unbroken?

This next question is going to sound creepily personal: when you wake up, do you usually ever wake up with "morning wood?" I've heard this is response to testosterone levels peaking during the latter part of your sleep, and if you're not waking up with this tell-tale sign of restorative sleep, maybe you're not sleeping as well as you think. I remember a time last year when it dawned on me that I'd gone at least 4 months without waking up with "wood." Seriously.

-S.

Quote Originally Posted by stronger View Post
    what does everyone think about ye olde "taking a week off"?
    I think the full week off is good for some, bad for others. I know folks who swear by it, but when I've taken a week off in the past, I feel rusty, out-of-the-groove, and no stronger usually. I also get really stiff, so much so that getting started again isn't really worth the time I've taken off. That's just my personal experience, and like I said, plenty would disagree with me. Whether you fall into the former or latter category, I imagine to be an individual thing. I suppose you have to try and see.

-S.

Nisora: I've started school, and I'm involved in a lot of projects, both academically and some personal stuff on the side, it can be stressed, but I don't feel freaked out. I'm taking a full course load and that's been causing to feel like tired sometimes.

I haven't check for morning wood, but I will now. I usually wake up with a sore shoulder ( I tried to do a lateral raise with 40 lbs a few weeks ago, and it's still sore when I sleep on it) and a sore back, that's been there since I did a series of really, really slopply cleans a week ago. Speaking about those cleans, the night of that session, I had a hard time sleeping and I felt like someone beat the shit out of me the next day. I usually feel like staying in bed when I wake up, although that may be a college thing.

starting strength coach development program
    Nisora: I've started school, and I'm involved in a lot of projects, both academically and some personal stuff on the side, it can be stressed, but I don't feel freaked out. I'm taking a full course load and that's been causing to feel like tired sometimes.
    This could be part of the problem, dunno.

Speaking about those cleans, the night of that session, I had a hard time sleeping and I felt like someone beat the shit out of me the next day.
    Watch out for more nights like these. This happens to me a lot after a particularly grueling training session, and I, too, get the "beat the shit out of me" feeling the following day, EXACTLY like you described. Too many nights like this could mean a sign of bad things to come. I'm sort of a connoisseur of overtraining (is that even a phrase?).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast