starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greg C's Squat/DL

Default Greg C's Squat/DL

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Here's my film from my "almost a taco" on Tuesday and DL vid from 1/11. I own and have read a few time SS and PPST to answer the question.

My lower back felt extremely weak for some reason yesterday, and I was coming off of a recent bout of the creeping crud, so maybe that explains the weakness. Looking for some general comments about form from the more experienced lifters. Thanks.

BS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyV9Y4OXaXk

DL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TORve3V9LWY

Back squat: work-set reps aren't deep enough by at least a couple of inches. Also, in the one warm-up vid you posted taken from behind, the feet appear to wide; narrowing your stance just a shade might help you get that extra depth. Will also help with any knees-out problems you're having.

Deadlift: you're shooting your hips, which shifts your shoulder too far forward out in front of the bar; you're getting no leg drive and executing something more akin to a SLDL as a result.
    Last edited by nisora33; 01-27-2010 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nisora33 View Post
    Back squat: work-set reps aren't deep enough by at least a couple of inches. Also, in the one warm-up vid you posted taken from behind, the feet appear to wide; narrowing your stance just a shade might help you get that extra depth. Will also help with any knees-out problems you're having.
    Thanks, depth has been a major issue. I keep thinking push knees out, but it hasn't really been improving much. I'll try to narrow my stance a bit tomorrow.

Would you deload 10-15% and fix the depth then work back up? Seems to be what Rip recommended in a previous thread I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by nisora33 View Post
    Deadlift: you're shooting your hips, which shifts your shoulder too far forward out in front of the bar; you're getting no leg drive and executing something more akin to a SLDL as a result.
    Ok, I'm really uneducated here I guess. Could you explain a little further? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Ok, I'm really uneducated here I guess. Could you explain a little further? Thanks.
    Shooting the hips means that your knees are unbending too early, which means that your hips are rising without the bar really moving up; this in turn, make you back more horizontal/puts the shoulders too far forward out in front of the bar and leaves the hams/glutes/back to do the work of getting the bar from point A to B all on their own. Hence, your turning the deadlift into a stiff legged deadlift at that point.

Thanks, depth has been a major issue. I keep thinking push knees out, but it hasn't really been improving much. I'll try to narrow my stance a bit tomorrow.

Would you deload 10-15% and fix the depth then work back up? Seems to be what Rip recommended in a previous thread I saw.
    I don't know about deloading 10-15%, but it's your call. Deload however much you need to in order to get the form correct for all reps. This might mean lowering as much as 10-15% or not, don't know.

Here's my film from my "almost a taco" on Tuesday and DL vid from 1/11. I own and have read a few time SS and PPST to answer the question.

My lower back felt extremely weak for some reason yesterday, and I was coming off of a recent bout of the creeping crud, so maybe that explains the weakness. Looking for some general comments about form from the more experienced lifters. Thanks.

BS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyV9Y4OXaXk

DL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TORve3V9LWY
    Watch the position of the bar in your deadlift setup when you drop your hips a bit as you set your back. Notice how it rolls forward? Why do you think it's doing this?

Answer: if the hips are too low, the shins will push the bar forward of midfoot, causing the bar path in the movement to deviate towards you, instead of being (more or less) straight up and down.

To not "shoot the hips," you're going to need to A) get the hips in a proper position to maintain the bar over midfoot at start (don't let it roll forward on your setup, or between reps), which will be a slightly higher hip position for you and B) lock your back into extension (chest up as hard as you can), such that your hamstrings are "tight" before the bar leaves the floor each rep. To quote Rip, if the starting position isn't hard to get into, you're not doing it right. The hamstring tension is what will anchor your back position and prevent the hips from shooting.

Thanks guys. That helps.

starting strength coach development program
    The depth issues in your squat noted by Stacey probably need to be addressed before anything else. Once that is taken care of you will also need to think about your knees. They are coming forward at the bottom of the squat and pitching you onto your toes. This was most pronounced when you almost lost the weight forward on your last rep. Those knees need to stay planted at the bottom of the squat. This will enable you to keep your posterior chain under tension, rebound out of the bottom, keep you balanced, and lead to enlightenment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast