starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: preworkout nutrition

Default preworkout nutrition

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    What do you eat or drink before a session which allows you to be alert and energetic enough to complete your workout? is there a science to this? i dont mean for muscle synthesis or anything stupid like that -- but for optimal performance during the workout?

Coffee plus shot of espresso. There is a science to it, but I think you have to go to barista school to learn.

I really dont think it matters, just whatever you are used to will help you perform best. Dont want to get hunger cramps but at the same time you dont want to feel tired and bloated.

One of the supervisors at my gym is at least 50 years old and a muslim. Ramadan was during long hot days of summer, in the middle of the afternoon I saw him doing an intense squat session.

He started with the empty bar and kept adding weight doing 5 sets each time. He got up to what mustve been close to 3x bodyweight when I had to leave and he didnt even seem too tired.

Remember all of this was after a day of no food & water, plus he had several hours before getting to eat again.

I have no idea how he coped, but it goes to show that most of this food thing is in the mind. As long as your blood sugar is stable and you are fairly hydrated there is no reason why you cannot perform well.

If you are used to eating a lot or get hungry during workout (like me) then eating something before can be useful to avoid hunger distraction. Things very high in fat are slow to digest and can make you tired. I personally like yoghurt the best, as it doesnt make you feel bloated.

I always eat before my lifts or I have a shitty workout. I usually eat a granola bar or a bit of milk, something like that. Chocolate milk is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    I really dont think it matters, just whatever you are used to will help you perform best. Dont want to get hunger cramps but at the same time you dont want to feel tired and bloated.

One of the supervisors at my gym is at least 50 years old and a muslim. Ramadan was during long hot days of summer, in the middle of the afternoon I saw him doing an intense squat session.

He started with the empty bar and kept adding weight doing 5 sets each time. He got up to what mustve been close to 3x bodyweight when I had to leave and he didnt even seem too tired.

Remember all of this was after a day of no food & water, plus he had several hours before getting to eat again.

I have no idea how he coped, but it goes to show that most of this food thing is in the mind. As long as your blood sugar is stable and you are fairly hydrated there is no reason why you cannot perform well.

If you are used to eating a lot or get hungry during workout (like me) then eating something before can be useful to avoid hunger distraction. Things very high in fat are slow to digest and can make you tired. I personally like yoghurt the best, as it doesnt make you feel bloated.
    Crazy what us humans can do when we put our minds to it, right?

Pre workout nutrition is not a very settled affair. It is very dependent upon how you feel working out with food in your stomach. The best pre workout nutrition ideas I can think of are to eat well and stay adequately hydrated all day. You can then spend all that money in the bank during your workout.

I personally eat a piece of fruit (orange, apple, pear, etc...) and take
    an EC stack (ephedra and caffeine). And then eat a cliff bar after my squats. If I don't refuel after I squat, I very nearly pass out.

Anything with some complex carbs, some protein, and energy boost should get you through your workouts assuming you are doing your part in the kitchen.

I don't like having food in my stomach when I exercise. It doesn't agree with me. However, I will drink orange juice prior to working out. I also drink a pot of coffee while exercising.

msingh,

Quote Originally Posted by msingh View Post
    ...alert and energetic enough to complete your workout? is
    Are you kidding?

I have eaten nothing all day long before a work out and never once dozed off. And I have found that having a couple hundred pounds or so on my back tends to keep my fairly alert no matter what my nutritional intake has been.

starting strength coach development program
    I actually dont mind going the gym first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, but my usual pre-workout/breakfast meal has been chicken and eggs plus a few pieces of fruit and it serves me fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast