starting strength gym

Thread: Vicious Massage

Default Vicious Massage

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I squatted heavy on Monday and starting Tuesday developed very tight hammies. I mean, these guys feel like ribbons of steel running down the back of my leg. I know Rip suggests a “vicious massage” for conically tight muscles, so I’m wondering: Who has had a sports massage/massage therapy session?

I’m thinking of trying to get one scheduled for tonight so as to fix myself before tomorrow’s heavy squat session.

I've had one and it was not pleasant. Felt good afterwards.

As far as "regular" massage, I used to go three times a week. It worked: after three or four weeks I noticed a marked difference. This was when my insurance was paying for it, however.

Years later, I started seeing a massage therapist once again. She was BRUTAL. I was paying out of pocket at that time, so I could only afford to pay to go once a week. The results were not as dramatic.

Comparing the two instances, I think the difference was the frequency with which I received the massage. I think of massage as being like weight training: once a week isn't likely to produce much change.

My opinion.

-Stacey

I went and saw a chiro who practiced "Active Release Therpay" (ART) when I was feeling some really bad knee pain. It turned out it was IT Band syndrome and he gave me a ITB release. He had this gorgeous little assistant help him out and I must admit, a single, solemn tear rolled down my cheek a few minutes in. It was hell but after a few sessions and some daily foam rolling I was back in business. I now go every few weeks to get worked on. Keeps me running smoothly.

God I musta looked like a big pussy in front of her...shit.

--
    Justin

The man who invented ART is a god in disguise. It worked wonders for me about a year ago when I was having some structural issues and knee/hip pain. It had been hurting me immensely every time I lifted for months but nothing I tried had helped. Fixed me right up in a few weeks and I was better than new. Haven't hurt since.

I do still try to get a massage every once in a while when I feel especially tight or beat up. I always feel better afterwards.

starting strength coach development program
    Well, I just got done with the massage... let's just say, I wanted to scream but did not. Apparantly my IT band is strung up like a violin, and my hammies were knotted up to the size of a softball. No more!

I feel 20 lbs lighter, just from the flexibility that I didn't realize that I had lost. I can't wait to lift tomorrow!