starting strength gym
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dusty's Iron Odyssey

Default Dusty's Iron Odyssey

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Dusty’s Iron Odyssey

How you doing to all the ironmongers out there!
    I’m Dusty Millar a 5’9” 187lbs (appox) of pure northern Irish ginger Adonis, well 4 out 5 aint bad. I’ve been planning on trying SS for quite some time now after being introduced to Crossfit by some USMC buddies.( Semper Fi ) whilst serving with the Royal Marines Commandos. Although now a well and truly fat civi, I have endeavoured to keep on training granted its not as easy when your life doesn’t depend on it.

Needless to say in true civi fashion I have done fuck all in about 6 months. And all this after setting up a Crossfit box for myself and a couple of mates, what a cock! ( me I mean, I didn’t just see one or anything )

So on wed 27th Jan 2010 that changed.

I decided to go down the 1RM route just to see how far past hopeless it had all become.

So here are the vital statistics ;

SQUAT :110kg - 242lbs
    BENCH PRESS :90kg - 198lbs
    DEADLIFT :140kg - 308lbs
    PRESS :60kg - 132lbs
    CLEAN :70kg - 154lbs

Clean was very lose, technical skill was a big factor.

So there it is, it only gets better from here on in.
    And here’s a thought for today :

Feelings of unimportance are often caused by a lack of importance
    Banish your feelings of unimportance by becoming
    PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES.

Good luck. Those are nice starting numbers. It will be interesting to see how far you can take SS.

Thanks for the support infact i was a little dissapointed in the numbers.
    I think i'll post a photo to compair with in a couple of months. I'll take it before my 1st workout tomorrow and post it tomorrow night.

So today I learned 2 things,
    1: Im not going deep enough on my squat ( granted my wife's been telling me Im not going deep enough for years )

2: I have rounded back on my deadlift.

all in all NOT GOOD!

I decided not to take a photo, maybe a little too bodybuilder'ish and went with video insted much more helpfull. As soon as i figure out how to post it I will.

Any way on with the vital statistics :
    SQUAT :100KG X3 X5
    BENCHPRESS : 80KG x3 x5
    DEADLIFT : 120KG x3 x5

Does any one think this is a over optimistic starting point?
    bench felt very comfortable, squat would have been much harder at the correct depth, deadlift was good but I need to sort out my back I think my tight hamstrings are the problem cause my form wasn't bad previously.
    any way GOMAD time.

Thought for today :
    Stress management, when experiencing stress in the work place, there's nothing more soothing than a mug of herbal tea. Make the tea in a nice big mug making sure it nice and hot. Then pour it over the PRICK thats been stressing you out.

I think I am going to enjoy your log. Good luck!

By the way, I was with the USMC from '95-'99 and got to spend a couple weeks with the Royal Marines in '97. Great bunch of guys. Good luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by DustyMillar View Post

Does any one think this is a over optimistic starting point?
    bench felt very comfortable, squat would have been much harder at the correct depth,
    Sucks to say it, but I think you should lower the squat weight and make sure you're going deep enough.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by DustyMillar View Post
    Thought for today :
    Stress management, when experiencing stress in the work place, there's nothing more soothing than a mug of herbal tea. Make the tea in a nice big mug making sure it nice and hot. Then pour it over the PRICK thats been stressing you out.
    i very much like this. personally, i plan to kill their pets...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    Sucks to say it, but I think you should lower the squat weight and make sure you're going deep enough.

Good luck
    You know what I feel a little ashamed to admit it but I thank thats probibly the best course of action going to drop it to 85kg for work out B tommorow.

Quote Originally Posted by TartanEagle View Post
    I think I am going to enjoy your log. Good luck!

By the way, I was with the USMC from '95-'99 and got to spend a couple weeks with the Royal Marines in '97. Great bunch of guys. Good luck to you!
    Pleased to meet you Tartan. How did you find it working with BootNecks? I had a blast working with all you Jar Heads, we helped train some of your Young Officers at camp Barret in Quantico they took real good care of us. ( 2 days Sober out of a mounth, and thats only because I was teaching some of our weapon's systems ) then spent a few weeks at Little Creek. Boy, you guys have a lot of toys.

The thought for today is dedicated to Semperteno,
    I like your style, you could also try Pissing on the graves of their ancestors!

Thought for today :
    The Inner Core, Lie down in a grassy park and relax completely. close your eyes. Access your deep inner core by listening to your breathing. After a few minutes, you will find yourself suffusedby feeling of warmth.
    Double check you haven't been Pissed on by a dog / bum.

starting strength coach development program
    Let me begin with a little poem

" Ode To Rip "
    God bless my glutes and lower back
    On the last set of deadlifts I heard a crack,
    I squat through the pain
    Press through the night,
    Tighten my sphincter in case I shite
    Competition Iv'e conquered
    The meet I have won
    Praise the l Lord
    Rips program I'd done

On to the more serious matters. I made sure I was getting the right depth on my squats today, though I'm not so sure every one would be pleased if you used my tactic in your local Globo gym.

I decided to whip my balls out and sit on them.
    At 5'9'' a medicine ball is real good depth so I ensured every squat had a little ass kiss. problem solved.

the numbers:
    squat : 2x5@20kg - 45lbs squats felt real good.
    1x5@40kg - 90lbs
    1x3@60KG - 132lbs
    1x2@70kg - 154lbs
    3x5@85kg - 187lbs
    press : 2x5@20kg - 45lbs difficult but achieved lockout each rep.
    1x5@30kg - 66lbs
    1x3@35kg - 77lbs
    1x2@45kg - 99lbs
    3x5@55kg - 121lbs
    clean : 2x5@20kg - 45lbs form greatly improved never missed a rep.
    1x5@30kg - 66lbs
    1x3@40kg - 90lbs
    1x2@50kg - 110lbs
    3x5@60kg - 132lbs

Realy pleased with todays proformance looking forward to FRI.

Thought for today :
    Repetitive stress syndrome, thinking about other people can be very stressfull. If you do it all the time you could become a victim of repetitive stress. avoid this by thinking about your self as much as possible.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast