starting strength gym

Thread: Squat

Default Squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I don't think there is anything too wrong with 'em, but just to double check:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RZ6D1kX5Y8

Thanks!

A few of those look a tad high.

Quote Originally Posted by Weakling View Post
    I don't think there is anything too wrong with 'em, but just to double check:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RZ6D1kX5Y8

Thanks!
    We'll, overall body positioning is perfect except for depth, which you lack by an inch or two, and the depth gets worse as the set goes on and you start to fatigue.

But you're too timid on your decent. Speed up your decent so you can take advantage of the stretch reflex. Try not loosen up TOO much, but definitely speed it up, and I think you'll find that you might even get that extra depth you need out of it, too.

I can't believe I'm saying this, because I am a fuckin' form-Natzee, but you're trying to make them too perfect, and as a result your just too damned rigid. In fact, I was getting tired just watching you. I would imagine that you're probably fried after a set like that, aren't you?

On a side note, you and I are built a lot alike. Our anthropometries are really similar. Neat.

-Stacey

Quote Originally Posted by nisora33 View Post
    We'll, overall body positioning is perfect except for depth, which you lack by an inch or two, and the depth gets worse as the set goes on and you start to fatigue.

But you're too timid on your decent. Speed up your decent so you can take advantage of the stretch reflex. Try not loosen up TOO much, but definitely speed it up, and I think you'll find that you might even get that extra depth you need out of it, too.

I can't believe I'm saying this, because I am a fuckin' form-Natzee, but you're trying to make them too perfect, and as a result your just too damned rigid. In fact, I was getting tired just watching you. I would imagine that you're probably fried after a set like that, aren't you?

On a side note, you and I are built a lot alike. Our anthropometries are really similar. Neat.

-Stacey
    While it's not altogether common, I think he might actually be exaggerating the knees out, too, and that extra stretch on the adductors is probably hurting his depth along with the tentativeness.

If you're "knees out"-ing to the point that your weight is literally on the outside of your feet, you are overdoing it. I find the cue of "spreading at the groin" a bit easier, something I picked up from Shaf at the P&B, for the feeling of knees out that isn't excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by blowdpanis View Post

If you're "knees out"-ing to the point that your weight is literally on the outside of your feet, you are overdoing it. I find the cue of "spreading at the groin" a bit easier, something I picked up from Shaf at the P&B, for the feeling of knees out that isn't excessive.
    Interesting. Will put that in my toolbox. Good ole P&B ftw.

-S.

Your are bouncing the rep at the bottom, and it's jerking your butt off the bench a little bit. Also, your elbows aren't straightening out all the way, you're cheating yourself there. Lower the weight a little, bring that bar down a little slower and get to full extension at the bottom, and keep your triceps against the pad at all times.

Next time, don't let that guy squat in front of the camera either, it's obstructs the view. Just keep at it, your guns will be swole in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
    Your are bouncing the rep at the bottom, and it's jerking your butt off the bench a little bit. Also, your elbows aren't straightening out all the way, you're cheating yourself there. Lower the weight a little, bring that bar down a little slower and get to full extension at the bottom, and keep your triceps against the pad at all times.

Next time, don't let that guy squat in front of the camera either, it's obstructs the view. Just keep at it, your guns will be swole in no time.
    lol

Thanks for the replies guys. Nice one Jason, lol.

I'll try to be more fluid with the squats. It's tough, I already messed up my back bad about 6 months ago, and I'm doing my best to make sure it doesn't happen again. I'll try to focus more on staying tight while, at the same time, speeding it up, Stacey. As for build, ya, my pre-SS shit is just as embarrassing, if not more, than yours; I'll get a pic up soon.

I'll look forward to trying that nifty cue too BdP. To be honest, the idea that I'm pushing my knees out too much has crossed my mind a couple of times. Any chance it could screw up someone's knees?

I'll work on it; I'm just glad it's something relatively simple to fix.

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah... I can thank my Dad for my shoulders.
    Attached Images Attached Images