starting strength gym

Thread: Snatch technique and question

Default Snatch technique and question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Looking for opinions on my snatch technique. See link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4FZPlcyN8A

Also, I don't have bumpers and am not ready to try 135 yet so am wondering if it is better to use the blocks like in the video or to do them from the hang? The blocks are still too high to get in proper start position.

Thanks.

You have no second pull. You pull the bar straight up from the starting position and are only getting it under control because it's light. You will lose any real weight out front.

I'm afraid you are right. I always read about a second pull in the clean and snatch but don't feel like I have one in either lift.

Anyone have advice for figuring out the second pull? Guess I need to read some more and just practice it with light weights.

Work positions.

Ime, if you hit the RDL position correctly (and this is a touch different in snatch vs. clean due to differences in bar height due to differences in grip width), it will happen.

So focus on shoulders over or in front of the bar for as long as possible, as you start to extend at the hip, the knees will scoop under and you'll get a double knee bend and the second pull.

Honestly you may do better starting at the top rather than off of blocks. So set up with the bar in the crease of your hip and upright, flex at the hip until bar is just past the knees and then bend them a bit, this will put you in roughly the same position as the blocks but shoulders should be well over/in front of th bar.

Now reverse it, straighten the legs with NO hip extension until you feel the hamstrings get preloaded with tension, then start the hip extension. Knees will scoop under the bar and voila, a second pull.

Oh yeah, you have to think about actively using the lats to scoop th bar in over the knee.