starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coan Deads

Default Coan Deads

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Has anyone tried Ed Coan's 10 week deadlift program which is linked on the SS Wiki Site? If so was it helpful?

I tried it (twice), it wrecked me, big time. There was no way I could deal with the volume and intensity, especially for the 10-12 weeks or whatever it was (and that's with going light on the accessory stuff!). If you're SURE you're past linear gains on deads w/ a belt, I'm enjoying the 5/3/1 method, which uses a good amount of volume but lower average intensity.

Ran it, gained 40 pounds on my deadlift which was already over 3x my bodyweight.

What weights do you use for the assistance exercises?

Quote Originally Posted by Bergie View Post
    What weights do you use for the assistance exercises?
    I cut them all out and just do the deadlifting.

Then you didn't run it.

Quote Originally Posted by NolanPower View Post
    Ran it, gained 40 pounds on my deadlift which was already over 3x my bodyweight.
    wow

Quote Originally Posted by jacob cloud View Post
    I tried it (twice), it wrecked me, big time. There was no way I could deal with the volume and intensity, especially for the 10-12 weeks or whatever it was (and that's with going light on the accessory stuff!). If you're SURE you're past linear gains on deads w/ a belt, I'm enjoying the 5/3/1 method, which uses a good amount of volume but lower average intensity.
    I have searched fot the 531 program and cannot find it. Could you share it with me?

Also SS is good on all lifts but the dead for some reason.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rockyshaun View Post
    I have searched fot the 531 program and cannot find it. Could you share it with me?

Also SS is good on all lifts but the dead for some reason.

Thanks.
    You've already started a thread on 531 and we told you where to get it. Its in Ebook form on the Elitefts.com website.

Do yourself a favor and BUY the book, $20 well spent.

starting strength coach development program
    The assistance work is meant to be as heavy as you can handle. When I did it I was using about 70-85% of the speed sets for the stiff legs, doing whatever I could handle on bent rows (and eventually chest supported rows instead as my back could not handle stabilizing myself as the routine went on). Reverse grip pulldowns just as much as you can and good mornings just stay in good form on them and I'd say for the sake of your lower back do them ultra strict so it gets your hamstrings more.

The assistance is death on this routine but you have to do it. Running Coan's bench workout concurrently with this is also a decent idea, and just do whatever you can to keep yourself squatting at least once a week because your back is going to be fried.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast