starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A hot 20 year old Squats, Cleans & Jerks for you! (get your mind out of the gutter)

Default A hot 20 year old Squats, Cleans & Jerks for you! (get your mind out of the gutter)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    G'day guys and gals,

I'm 20, it was a damn warm day :P.

Throwing up two videos, both from last night.

Here are my Clean and Jerks.
    I'm pretty happy with my form on the 65/70kg lifts but I just can't seem to rack them at 90kg(200lbs). I imagine it's a combination of flexibility issues and maybe also my erectors?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tomv89#p/a/u/1/gUACJBEahNU

With the squats I'm seeing a rather noticeable shift in my hips to the left as I hit the bottom, I'm not sure why this is and I have been trying to correct it by driving my right knee out but I think it may also be some sort of flexibility issue?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIGFoEHxaJM

For the squats, it may have something to do with how much your knees are caving in on the way up, especially the right side.
    Last edited by gman; 02-01-2010 at 01:55 PM.

With your jerks I noticed you are not resetting your grip.

You should put the bar into your palms and assume a slightly wider grip.

For your actual rack, you probably need a narrower grip (experiment) It may help you get elbows higher.

But before you jerk, remember to reset.
    Last edited by Dastardly; 02-01-2010 at 01:32 PM.

How much experience do have with the lifts, Dastardly? I ask because I wasn't aware resetting and widening the grip prior to jerking is a necessity. I do find it hard to jerk if my pinkies slip out from under the bar when it's racked, so in those instances I'll pop the bar up and get all of my fingers back under, but that isn't always necessary, and I never widen my grip. And bringing the grip in, for someone who has trouble keeping the elbows high, seems to me to be counter productive. In my experience, taking a wider grip and pushing the elbows up and in works best.

@OP, I've been struggling with the same hip shift problem during squats for the last month or so. My problem started when I injured something in my left groin region. As I break parallel, my hips try to shift to the left in what is, I assume, an effort to lesson the stretch placed on the adductors on that side. I have no idea if that's similar to what you are experiencing, but I had to deload big time and really work on keeping both knees out while keeping the hips alligned properly. Even now that the pain is pretty much gone, I still find myself shifting to the left towards the end of a heavy set when my concentration lapses.

Quote Originally Posted by TomV View Post
    G'day guys and gals,

I'm 20, it was a damn warm day :P.

Throwing up two videos, both from last night.

Here are my Clean and Jerks.
    I'm pretty happy with my form on the 65/70kg lifts but I just can't seem to rack them at 90kg(200lbs). I imagine it's a combination of flexibility issues and maybe also my erectors?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tomv89#p/a/u/1/gUACJBEahNU

With the squats I'm seeing a rather noticeable shift in my hips to the left as I hit the bottom, I'm not sure why this is and I have been trying to correct it by driving my right knee out but I think it may also be some sort of flexibility issue?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIGFoEHxaJM
    Get your leg length checked for the squats. I had a chiro check mine and found their is a .7 inch discrepancy. Squatting with a shim has fixed it.

These are what mine used to look like for reference.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0efCU3kdBg

Quote Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
    How much experience do have with the lifts, Dastardly? I ask because I wasn't aware resetting and widening the grip prior to jerking is a necessity. I do find it hard to jerk if my pinkies slip out from under the bar when it's racked, so in those instances I'll pop the bar up and get all of my fingers back under, but that isn't always necessary, and I never widen my grip. And bringing the grip in, for someone who has trouble keeping the elbows high, seems to me to be counter productive. In my experience, taking a wider grip and pushing the elbows up and in works best.

I dont have much experience of OL. But am just basing simple tips on geeking over competition videos,training videos, coaching seminars and writings.

I had very much the same weak rack with falling elbows despite only fingering the bar and doing all the stuff like flaring lats. Most advice suggested widening grip to help which I tried for ages with no improvement.
    But just recently I tried Narrowing it instead, it was like a miracle! I can now front squat for the first time with a secure stress free rack grip.

The OP looks like they could be someone who may benefit from a narrow rack based on how twisted up the arms are looking.

Now, Jerking with a narrow grip is clearly inefficient. It increase the range of motion(distance to lockout) and make it more challenging to stabilise overhead.

It is also generally difficult to reset into the jerk position (putting bar in palms) with a narrow grip. A narrow grip jerk is more likely to be like a press, with triceps getting overly involved.

In nearly every video of a competitive OL Lifter Jerking, they widen grip to reset for the jerk. It is intuitive and logical if your rack is a narrow one.
    Last edited by Dastardly; 02-01-2010 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    For the squats, it may have something to do with how much your knees are caving in on the way up, especially the right side.
    I unfortunately didn't get my feet in the shot but my knees actually track outside of my feet when I squat. I think when they cave in they are merely returning to a parallel plane with the feet... I would squat with wider feet if I had the flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    With your jerks I noticed you are not resetting your grip.

You should put the bar into your palms and assume a slightly wider grip.

For your actual rack, you probably need a narrower grip (experiment) It may help you get elbows higher.

But before you jerk, remember to reset.
    Ok, I'll try fooling around with this next time I do cleans (Friday) and hopefully have a video up a day or two after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
    @OP, I've been struggling with the same hip shift problem during squats for the last month or so. My problem started when I injured something in my left groin region. As I break parallel, my hips try to shift to the left in what is, I assume, an effort to lesson the stretch placed on the adductors on that side. I have no idea if that's similar to what you are experiencing, but I had to deload big time and really work on keeping both knees out while keeping the hips alligned properly. Even now that the pain is pretty much gone, I still find myself shifting to the left towards the end of a heavy set when my concentration lapses.
    I actually injured my right side a little while ago, but it was really just damage to the skin no real muscular or skeletal damage. I'll be squatting with a partner on friday so hopefully with some cues during the set I may be able to rectify the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by pbjorge12 View Post
    Get your leg length checked for the squats. I had a chiro check mine and found their is a .7 inch discrepancy. Squatting with a shim has fixed it.

These are what mine used to look like for reference.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0efCU3kdBg
    Thanks mate, I'll try that.

Or even better. Take pictures of your naked ass with an without the shim.
    See if things look more or less symmetrical.

That's what I did. I just went to the chiro for confirmation.

i know this is an old thread but dude OP what song is that in the background of your C and J vid? i love that style of music

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyd123 View Post
    i know this is an old thread but dude OP what song is that in the background of your C and J vid? i love that style of music
    Zombie Ghost Train - R.i.P.

The genre is Psychobilly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast