starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm new to SS, about 3 weeks tomorrow, and I'd appreciate any advice on how to correct my squat form. I have a problem with keeping the bar moving in a straight vertical path, particularly going up. The bar moves forward, creating a bump in the bar path.

I started using Chuck Taylors last week, which helped stabilize the movement quite a bit. In an attempt to correct the forward movement, I try to focus on keeping my toes up and leaning back on my heels (though I tend to forget to keep leaning after the first rep).

Here's my work set from yesterday. Lower weight to focus on form.
    60x5x3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAp2-88deeo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0oPr_4jAX4 (miscounted 4 reps)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gze6DNVrxFs

Rip's book talks about using a block of wood to help. I've tried it at home and it seems to correct the movement most of the time, but when I'm under the bar, the forward movement comes back.

Since I'm new to strength training, I don't want my body to get used to using poor form, making things harder to fix later. I appreciate any comments or cues you think would be helpful.

two things I see:
    -go down a little slower to help control the bounce better.
    -keep your heels down, they come up when you hit bottom and you end up on your toes..which makes you go forward.

Thanks dwayne. I see what you mean about controlling the bounce and going down slower. And I'll try focusing more on keeping my heels down, which may be a better cue than just leaning back.

Hi Sarah,

Keep up the good work-nice to see another girl squatting around here......

murrie

Keep squatting. It does amazing things for girls.

Like others have noted, falling on your knees is the main problem. Just to chip in on the bounce: You're kinda bouncing off your calves. It should feel like you're popping off the tightness in your posterior chain. You might benefit from a wider stance to achieve this.

Sometimes lifting your toes helps to keep the weight back on your heels as well.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Nauticus View Post
    Like others have noted, falling on your knees is the main problem. Just to chip in on the bounce: You're kinda bouncing off your calves. It should feel like you're popping off the tightness in your posterior chain. You might benefit from a wider stance to achieve this.
    I've tried a wider stance, with my feet angled more than 30 degrees, probably 35-40. It helped before, so I'll go back to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergie View Post
    Sometimes lifting your toes helps to keep the weight back on your heels as well.
    I'll focus on keeping my toes up AND my heels down, this might help stabilize me so I don't fall forward.

You are going deeper than you need to and are loose at the bottom - your hamstrings relax which causes knees to go forward.

Try a heavier weight. Often at a very light weight you can get away with
    form problems that your nervous system will "refuse" to do when the weight gets heavier.

Also it's never too soon to spring for a pair of squat shoes. Chucks are ok but when the weight goes up you'll benefit hugely from proper equipment.

Cheers!

Gwynn

I also see you going too deep by maybe 2 inches or so. Work on slowing down on the descent a little and keeping you knees pushed apart. That will help tighten up the hamstrings.

starting strength coach development program
    Don't have much to add, but I think you should lower the hooks and raise the safety pins. Racking the bar should be easy, it doesn't look easy as it is right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast