starting strength gym

Thread: squat trivia question

Default squat trivia question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I would appreciate any thoughts on this matter. I was wondering if an individual who has a short torso (in relation to leg length) would typically have a greater hip angle on the squat. In other words, would having a short torso cause someone to "lean over" more? I was told last pm that I lean over waaaayyy
    too much with my squats. I have a fairly short torso and am wondering if this may be a factor.

Vids of my squats to soon follow,
    Thanks for your help,
    Murrie

The system has to stay in (relative) balance, and having a comparatively short torso in respect to your femur length (dimensions typical of basketball players and such) would almost certainly make you bend over more, yes.

The opposite is often true and typical of "natural" squatters, long torso in respect to their femur length, which makes them a bit more upright.

As already said, it's not just the length of the torso, it's the relative length compared to the femur. A person with a shorter torso will not lean forward any more if their femurs are equally short.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
    As already said, it's not just the length of the torso, it's the relative length compared to the femur. A person with a shorter torso will not lean forward any more if their femurs are equally short.
    Hey Jason,

Thanks for the response. I do have a very short waist compared to the length of my femurs. I had a body building friend critique my form the other night. He was all over me for leaning over way too far, the bar was too low on my back(he does high bar squats) and looking at the floor 6-8 ft in front of me(he looks straight ahead when squating). What makes it hard is that he is a very, very good squatter and can squat 315 easy. But his technique is definately different than what Rip teaches in SS. My technique really freaked him out. He kept saying I was going to hurt my back and such.
    Oh well. Vids of my squats to come-thanks for your help.

Yeah, videos are the best way to tell what's going on. I'm sure your bodybuilding friend means well, but take all advice with a grain of salt and think about what is being said vs. what you've learned in SS. Most people who have never trained anybody but themselves will freak out when someone doesn't lift like they do. Anthropometry is huge in the squat, the lift will look different for people with different dimensions.

If the big things are right (hitting depth, knees out, driving the hips, back arched and tight, big air in the gut), that's what matters. Things like torso lean and forward knee travel happen naturally based on a lifter's dimensions when the other things are correct.

And no offense, but squatting a particular number alone (esp. only 315) does not make anyone a "very good squatter." I've seen sloppy 600lb squatters and I've seen awesome 225lb squatters. Just be careful when anybody says, "well I lift Xlbs so I know what I'm talking about."