starting strength gym

Thread: Another Shoulder Problem

Default Another Shoulder Problem

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Long time forum user first time poster.

Anyway a brief history, I was running with SS for about 6 months made some fantastic gains in weight and strength and was happy, got a pain in the shoulder which didn't get better and I just thought it would.....Funnly enough back squats hurt it most so I went to front squats then pressing and benching hurt....so I finally went to the docs, got an x-ray and ultrasound and have been told this;

• Bursitis of the subdeltoid bursa
    • Tendinosis of supraspinatus
    • A 4mm echogenic focus within supraspinatus that is a calcific deposit

I have done some web research in regards to these but am just wondering if any of you folk have had any experience with this and if its common or not

Cheers in Advance

www.google.com

Bursitis supraspinatus site:startingstrength.com

I got a couple of hits, with one in particular that may help you. Play around with the search criteria. I believe there is a wealth of info on this types of injuries.

I've had very similar issues with my right shoulder - subacromial bursitis, "tendinopathy" of the supraspinatus, and a 2mm calcific deposit. I had a massive deficit in external rotation strength. Two orthopaedic docs both suggested surgery.

I didn't get the surgery, and I'm fairly confident that I have gotten over the injury (I've gone and hurt my left AC joint quite badly now, so I can't really test it out).

I originally tore my suprspinatus quite badly in a fall five years ago. Never did any rehab, since I was a runner and didn't care about my shoulder.

YMMV, but things that worked for me were deep massage, coupled with a rehab program starting with the Diesel Crew Shoulder Rehab Protocol (started with no weight on scarecrows, pink dumbells on all else) and stretching, and after a while I slowly introduced overhead pressing (prior to SS), ring work (supports, dips with bands) handstand holds and TGUs.

There was a bout of Crossfit prior to feeling fully recovered, sustained only through ibuprofen abuse. I do not recommend this. Only do what you can do without too much pain and post workout inflammation, and work up slowly. For me, too much inflammation would sustain itself, and I could only break the cycle with ibuprofen. Better to work out at a level that causes very mild inflammation that can resolve itself. If your bursitis is quite bad though, an initial course of rest and ibuprofen may be necessary before you can start rehab.

One very important factor was sleep position. I didn't realise this, but sleeping on a soft mattress and a low pillow irritated my shoudler when I invariably slept on my right side. A firm mattress and firm high pillow dramatically reduced morning inflammation.

Have your posture checked and fix as necessary. I'm still learning here.

If you haven't already do a search for Steven Low's posts on shoulder injuries over at the Crossfit and PMenu boards. Also look up articles by Eric Cressey. Very informative stuff.