starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey guys,

So I think we've finally heard the deathknell of my absurdly low squats. I did these today and they felt awful heavy and I was working hard the whole time.

1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfnLsje1UAA
    2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAJ2IWivyWI
    3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OShCyooayXc

So my notes:

Concerned about back angle and how my hips tend to shoot back rather than forward and up, as I've heard stacey mention he uses that as a cue. Knees look like they've stabilized, except for a couple reps. The fourth rep of the last set, man that was a doozy. Hopefully my form didn't deteroriate an awful amount for that one rep and the 5th rep following. I can't really see anything except back angle and how my head turns to the right at the end of the last rep. I've been working on quitting that habit, I have no idea where I picked it up. Thanks for your thoughts guys, and sorry about the angles if they're awful, the gym is being remodeled at the moment.

To be honest, I would start by slowing down your descent a little bit. I think you'll find that you are more consistent when you do.

Yeah, I think I'm still divebombing though not nearly as bad as I used to. I do not want to anger the Squat Gods. Thanks.

Yeah, when you realize that your starting to shoot your hips back and up, counteract that tendency by trying to do the opposite: drive your hips foward and up like you're fucking someone--just squeeze your ass and do a pelvic thrust. I got that from someone over at the Power and Bulk forum, don't remember whom--maybe Duane Hansen or Shaf, who knows. I've had some success with a few of my folks who were gm-ing the fuck out of their squats and driving their hips back. Try it and see. YMMV.

-S.

So I'm definitely doing more of a GM here? Damnit..

Quote Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post

As you get tired there toward the end of a set, yes.

Breath, all will be okay.

-S.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
    Pause your reps at the bottom of each, and then do quick pauses/snapshots several times as you ascend. Note the difference between your back angle out of the hole, and what happens as you go up. Also pay attention to what happens at your knees.

Imho, some segmentation is inherent to this style of squat, particularly as you approach heavy weights. But I think there's more here than just the inherent segmentation, I think you have kind of trained yourself to do a squat/GM hybrid. This is an issue I was just talking to Gary about, and I think can be the danger of people adopting SS cues minus the input of a coach.

The most useful cue I've found to combat this (in me and others) is to drive the hips up in the context of also "squeezing the chest up" the whole time. A lot of people wind up driving hips to the exclusion of actually keeping their chest up. Imho, that leads to form like your vids.

I agree with blowdpanis and Stace, they gave you two great cues. Thrust the hips forward and squeeze the chest up. The head down is fine, just don't let it collapse your chest.

I also agree with berg that you are dive bombing a little too much, which is causing you to lose your tightness at the bottom, very apparent on that fourth rep, you had no tightness and your leg drive force was not reaching the bar, which caused that double pump. Stay tight and drop a little slower. Think about squatting and driving the weight up, not bouncing it up.

Default Yes it's another Squat Form Check

starting strength coach development program
    sorry wrong thread.