starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlifts

Default Deadlifts

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey guys,

recently, I hit a personal milestone of 170kg for 5 reps. After watching the video, I'm not so sure about how I'm going keeping my back tight.

So, the next time I lifted, I dropped back to 150kg. But it seems that I'm not that much better. Even my first warmup set at 50kg doesn't look much better again!

I think my problem is not really being able to properly set my back initially, due to flexibility. I point my toes out a bit, and try to shove my knees out too, and it does help.

Anyway, here are some videos if you don't mind having a look, and telling me what you think.

Note #1: You'll notice that I stop to shake out my hands. That's because deadlifting hurts my hands. While away on holidays, while training at a commercial gym, I discovered that they don't hurt using an olympic sized bar. It seems that I hurt at home because I'm using a smaller, standard bar (which increases pressure on my hands) with pretty sharp knurling. Anyway, just an explanation for you..

Note #2: I mostly treat a set of 5 as 5 quick singles. This helps me to concentrate on consistent form, as recommended by Dave Tate. It also helps with my hands.

2 weeks ago:
    5x170kg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_3O3syrxXo

Last week:
    5x50kg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrM3TWUPxt0
    5x150kg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzO-K2U9JQk

Sorry man, it's back to 60kg for you until those issues are sorted.

Tips?

I think PMDL is just joking with you. Your back looks just fine, even at 170 kg. You start with and manage to keep a neutral/flat lumbar angle. You have a slight tendency to hitch the lift towards the end. That is, you slightly re-bend your knees near the top to help finish the lockout. That's a good habit to break. You don't do it excessively, but hitching is frowned upon in competition, I believe.

Lastly, get yourself an Olympic bar. Deadlifting is hard enough as it is without a skinny bar digging into your fingers.

Really? Ha, now I feel like a dweeb..

I was aware of the hitching, and it want to break it. Cues? Maybe just to think about NOT rebending the knees.

Thanks for the tip on the bar. Now I need to convince my wife that its a good investment...

That wasn't even hitching. that's just what happens when you tire out during a hard pull.

General rule of thumb: strength off the floor = quads + low back, strength at lockout = glutes + hams

Having trouble at lockout, if you assume it's not just a matter of crappy setup tiring you out (which it isn't here) is usually either grip or weak glutes/hams.

But fuck you didn't do anything but get tired from a hard set there, the fresh reps were fine, so who cares?

Get a better bar to fix the grip-gay and you're set.

I think you're right about the grip - Thinking back, I'm pretty sure that's what was going and forcing me to do a little hitch.

Thanks PDML, appreciate the advice.

I thought it was pretty impressive. But get some socks!

Quote Originally Posted by PMDL View Post
    Sorry man, it's back to 60kg for you until those issues are sorted.
    lol
    man.. you gotta use ITALICS for stuff like that.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kincain View Post
    I thought it was pretty impressive. But get some socks!
    ha! yeah, I couldn't find them that day, so the shin pads sufficed :-)