starting strength gym

Thread: high bar squat

Default high bar squat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvkZuG-CFjI

i notice that when i squat (HB) at the bottom i use exaggerated bounce like the lifter in the video.
    is it ok to use this exaggerated bounce at the bottom for strength purpose because i get the feeling that i can lift more weight like that but not get stronger.

just curious: is there any particular reason why you are doing high bar squats?

i started lifting with HB and when i tried to switch to LB i could not bend over enough so the bar will be in the middle of the foot. as a result of that my knees slide forward and the squat end up like HB with LB placement.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAMEN View Post

i notice that when i squat (HB) at the bottom i use exaggerated bounce like the lifter in the video.
    is it ok to use this exaggerated bounce at the bottom for strength purpose because i get the feeling that i can lift more weight like that but not get stronger.
    What do you mean, exaggerated bounce? He's descending really quickly into the bottom position, and as he gets tired this becomes more pronounced. But hell, you'd get tired, too, with that much weight on your back. At any rate, it doesn't seem to be a problem for him to do it that way.

-S.

Damn, that's 660 pounds for six reps.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAMEN View Post

I'm confused... are you saying you are NOT the lifter in the video? If not, why post another person's video?

Quote Originally Posted by tennisgod View Post
    I'm confused... are you saying you are NOT the lifter in the video? If not, why post another person's video?
    If he were the dude in that video, he wouldn't be asking for advice here on how to squat. I agree, however, if you want to know what others think of your squat form, posting someone else's video is not going to help anything.

Nice find. Killer lifts all around, very nice snatch.

starting strength coach development program
    "You sound like a big choo-choo train!" - Bobby Bouchet