starting strength gym

Thread: Front Squats look ok?

Default Front Squats look ok?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,

I have wanted to learn front squats for ages but 3 things were stopping me.

1. I didnt realise the extent of the dramatically different, "be upright and let knees go forward" method in comparison to back squats.

2. I have poor flexibility and struggled to get enough shin angle to go deep. (got shoes!)

3. I had the idea that I needed a wide grip, but this gave me a completely non functioning rack. Elbows did not go high and weight would be immediately dumped.

Well I fixed all of these issues. All very dramatic. I have done some videos of my second session using front squats instead of back squats as part of my SS workout. I decided to use them when I didnt feel sufficiently recovered to hit back squat weight or if my very problematic knees were feeling sore & stiff.

Anyhow, let me know If you think the form looks ok:

50kg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_mQ8RFy3eA
    empty bar.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64zvFAQExrI
    Last edited by Dastardly; 02-06-2010 at 09:05 PM.

They look kind of loose and you need to rack the bar. However, am I correct in understanding that you're already using light days for your squats? I thought you just started SS.

I think you can get a more acute knee angle/more vertical back with a little practice: you're so accustomed to the back squat's motor pattern that you haven't quite gotten the feel of knees forward yet. In other words, I don't know if flexibility's actually the issue, really. At any rate, they're passable front squats. Practice breaking with the knees first going down. With front squats, that's an appropriate cue.

-S.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post
    They look kind of loose and you need to rack the bar. However, am I correct in understanding that you're already using light days for your squats? I thought you just started SS.
    They are not 'official' light days. But considering I have only just learnt the front squat they are inevitably not as draining as my back squats.

In SS rip says its ok to put in front squats on the odd occation for variety. Well that is half the reason, the other reason is that I have chrondomalacia type roughness in my knees and I feel working the knee into a deeper bend than possible with low bar back squats may be beneficial. It may help smooth and re-shape the roughness in cartilage and also give my ligaments a much needed rest from the repetive strain they are receiving in back squats. Front squats feel a lot better on my knees than back squats, but it may just be the comparitively light weights. (about 60%)

I am not planning to alternate these every time, its just a way to get me to train on days I wouldve skipped because I felt unprepared for my back squat.

Quote Originally Posted by nisora33 View Post
    I think you can get a more acute knee angle/more vertical back with a little practice: you're so accustomed to the back squat's motor pattern that you haven't quite gotten the feel of knees forward yet. In other words, I don't know if flexibility's actually the issue, really. At any rate, they're passable front squats. Practice breaking with the knees first going down. With front squats, that's an appropriate cue.

-S.

I understand what you mean totally. I practiced squatting with my back against a wall to try and get this right. I think the muscles in my abdomen just need to get used to bracing in this new way. Basically I just need more practice (and to get used to use of mainly quads & glutes) to straighten me out. When I got the inevitable forward lean out of the hole, it still felt very secure, no chance of dumping the weight yet.

And Mr. City, what did you mean about racking the bar? I am racking it, unless you mean to clean it onto my shoulders?

starting strength coach development program
    I meant putting the bar back on the rack. My bad.