starting strength gym

Thread: DB Bench Press - pronated or neutral grip?

Default DB Bench Press - pronated or neutral grip?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    For those that do DB bench instead of BB bench to make life easier on your shoulders, do you use a pronated or neutral (hammer) grip?

I've laid off any kind of benching for years, as I've had multiple shoulder injuries (from sports, not lifting), but I'm thinking about incorporating chest work into my routine, while minimizing shoulder stress.

I'd like to do them, how they will come to me naturally, some could force themselves in to try to mimic how the bench press should look like, but look at the vid of Rip doing them (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM5Nw_QBA9A) don't focus on how to grip it, but just let the movement of your arms dictate the grip

but to give advice on injury related stuff you should discard the post above, there might be other people that are more qualified

Whatever feels comfortable. When I do them, my hands are between pronated and neutral like Rip's. That's just the way it feels best. But I'm going to suggest something that would horrify the BBers and bodysculptors: it doesn't really fucking matter how you grip them as long as your shoulders, elbows and wrists don't complain and you're able to make progress with the lift fairly consistently.

-S.

Neutral grip tends to rotate the elbows down by the body sort of like a close grip bench press which is a big part of why it's easier on the shoulders (less need for shoulder control, less risk of impingement, etc.)

But that also means proportionally less humeral adduction and proportionally more shoulder extension. Which is a nerd way of saying: you'll get less pecs and more tris/anterior delt.

Life, she is full of little compromises.

starting strength coach development program
    I like a neutral grip that's easier on the shoulders.

Here's a video of me DB benching a couple of years ago:
    http://www.people.frisk-software.com...riem_DB_BP.wmv