starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: squat check

Default squat check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    hey all, submitted this to rip's q&a, but thought i'd also get your feedback. this is my second set at 300lb. i'm doing the novice progression and have been making 10lb jumps; this felt like a challenge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hdbcLfSoKk

Some of those reps look high. From the angle, it doesn't look like you're shoving your knees out that much, which has an effect on depth.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
    Some of those reps look high. From the angle, it doesn't look like you're shoving your knees out that much, which has an effect on depth.
    am focusing very much on knees out, but may not be getting them out enough. thanks for the feedback. would you rec staying at this poundage or keep moving next w.o.?

I'd recommend moving up in weight just cause it didn't seem like you were overly struggling with the bar. I might add five pounds, focus on keeping the knees out further, and see how it goes. I can't really tell how wide your stance is either, but make sure you're not going for it with a high-bar squat stance like I've been known to do.

You squats look pretty good and I think you are getting proper depth. I cannot tell if your femurs are just long or if you may want to let your knees come forward more, but you are getting pretty close to horizontal at the bottom of the squat. I would be interested to see what a pair of lifting shoes would do for you. I would bet that your knees would come forward a bit more and you would stay slightly more upright.

I cannot really tell from the video, but do you feel like your knees collapse inward when you ascend from the bottom of the squat? There's a hint of that in the video, but it is too close to a side view to tell if that is actually happening.

I also agree that you should keep moving up in weight.

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    You squats look pretty good and I think you are getting proper depth. I cannot tell if your femurs are just long or if you may want to let your knees come forward more, but you are getting pretty close to horizontal at the bottom of the squat. I would be interested to see what a pair of lifting shoes would do for you. I would bet that your knees would come forward a bit more and you would stay slightly more upright.

I cannot really tell from the video, but do you feel like your knees collapse inward when you ascend from the bottom of the squat? There's a hint of that in the video, but it is too close to a side view to tell if that is actually happening.

I also agree that you should keep moving up in weight.
    thanks - my femurs are long, I don't know if they're abnormally long, but they are long. I have long arms too, so deadlifting is easy for me relative to squatting. I do struggle to keep knees out; I think I'm doing a pretty decent job of it but I definitely fight an inward collapse on the way up. It usually is the worst at about the halfway up point. I plan to get some shoes soon; have been researching to find the best pair for a good price. input on that welcome as well.

I concur with the knees coming in while coming up, but you do try to correct it as you drive up.

Question for the board:
    Because of the quickness coming out of the hole would that limit the stretch potential on the hamstrings and cause compensation with knees in?

Quote Originally Posted by Gottatri2lift View Post
    I concur with the knees coming in while coming up, but you do try to correct it as you drive up.

Question for the board:
    Because of the quickness coming out of the hole would that limit the stretch potential on the hamstrings and cause compensation with knees in?

I don't think it likely.

-S.
    Last edited by nisora33; 02-08-2010 at 03:39 PM.

Do you think he leans forward too much? I say that because his form is very similar to mine and I had someone tell me I was leaning over way too much. Just curious......

starting strength coach development program
    Looks good from the hips down except needs more knees out.

From the hips up, I can't see that well...but something is telling me that the upper back is losing some extension...all speculation though. It would be interesting to see this from an angle where we could see what's going on with the back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast