starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starr Model in PP

Default Starr Model in PP

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I would like an explanation on just how the Starr model works if anyone would mind. The one described in PP. I think how it works is like this. Please correct me where I'm wrong.

Training starts with one heavy day, a light day, and a medium day. If we were to take the squat for example we would squat with a moderate weight on day one say for 5x5. On day two we would squat one heavy set 5, and day 3 we would squat say 2 light sets of 5. As you progress the first workout would get heavy enough to the point where the week is now heavy heavy light as appose to medium heavy light. Once progress slows at this point you add a day. Now this is where I'm confused. In PP the example given on page 199 for 3 heavy days has the second heavy day right after the first. So does this mean you would squat heavy 5x5 one day and right after squat say a heavy triple the next day? I think maybe not because on page 173 it states, "As a general rule, squats will be done every workout until the trainee goes to 4 days per week." But at the same time I don't see why not.

If I haven't been clear on anything just ask and I'll try to clarify.

Starr model as I understand it is based on intensity variation mainly. So as you note, there are heavy, medium and light days. Once adaptation stops is when you would transition to another heavy day or to adding an additional day to the program. This is assuming all other recovery factors are in order of. Of course prior to this type of change, you could also change your programming (sets, reps, exercises) and stay on 3 days to see if that helps.

On your example of two heavy days in a row, my interpretation is that yes, you would squat both days. The point I believe Rip is making in your quote is that you don't squat 4 days per week, but you do squat 3 days per week. (So, if you are only working out 3 days, you squat every workout).

So just so I get this right. Once you go to a 4 days a week, 3 heavy 1 light, you you would indeed squat each day in some form. Whether one of the days is a front squat or not. So as an example.

monday squat 5x5
    tuesday squat one heavy triple
    thursday squat 5 heavy singles
    friday light squat 2 sets of 5

This I'm taking from page 199.

But like I stated before on page 173 Rip says that "As a general rule squats will be done every workout until the tranee goes to 4 days per week." Now if this is not in reference to the starr model, I could only think it would be, now that I think about it, a mention of the split routine model. Am I correct?

In Starr's articles when he talks about adding a 4th day he says it's mainly for lighter exercises like OHP and high pulls and then calf work for legs. I don't see why you couldn't eventually build up to another day of squatting if that's your thing, but I don't get the impression it's mandatory.

PP2 has an example in the back. Too long to post here.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
    So just so I get this right. Once you go to a 4 days a week, 3 heavy 1 light, you you would indeed squat each day in some form. Whether one of the days is a front squat or not. So as an example.

monday squat 5x5
    tuesday squat one heavy triple
    thursday squat 5 heavy singles
    friday light squat 2 sets of 5

This I'm taking from page 199.

But like I stated before on page 173 Rip says that "As a general rule squats will be done every workout until the tranee goes to 4 days per week." Now if this is not in reference to the starr model, I could only think it would be, now that I think about it, a mention of the split routine model. Am I correct?
    I think you are not interpreting this correctly. "As a general rule squats will be done every workout until the trainee goes to 4 days per week."

This means if you are doing 4 days per week workouts you will most likely NOT be squatting all 4 days. I suppose you could if you could handle it, but I interpret this to mean generally you wouldn't squat more than 3 days in a week.

So then what is the purpose of adding days if your not adding in another squat day? Or put another way, how is the squat benifited by adding another day if that day does not contain any squating. Of course I'm just using the squat as an example I could say the same for any exercise in a similar position. No one has to answer this if its too long. Not that I wouldn't appreciate it, I just don't want to take up too much of anyone else's time.

What I'm trying to do here is get a decent understanding of how training works. At this time the Starr method as explained in practical programming is something I don't understand yet.

Isn't the Starr method the method used once the texas method no longer works? Or am I mixing apples and oranges. If not is it then that once the texas method no longer works that you would be considered advanced? At least advanced enough to use 5x5 twice a week in a cycle like explained in PP. I've got a long way to go before I've exausted weekly progress (the most I've squated for 5x5 is 275). And I would like to know just how weekly progress stops working. If it is with a program like the texas method or the Starr model.

Maybe this is too much to ask in a forum. I may just have to wait for the second edition of PP.
    Last edited by JamesH; 02-15-2010 at 08:43 PM.

I may just have to wait for the second edition of PP.
    PP is currently in its second edition

if you are going to buy a book, buy the source, starr's "strongest shall survive". he also has articles online & in milo and ironman magazine, if you are looking for more.

you can do his program at any time, it doesn't have to follow the 'texas method' or whatever. the power cleans, benches & squats are the starting program, then you can add presses, inclines, shrugs, high pulls, etc as you advance. it's all in his book.

i know in PP it is labeled 'intermediate', but starr started his people with it.

starting strength coach development program
    What I'm trying to do here is get a decent understanding of how training works. At this time the Starr method as explained in practical programming is something I don't understand yet.

Isn't the Starr method the method used once the texas method no longer works? Or am I mixing apples and oranges.
    You're mixing apples and oranges. I believe both of these programs are listing under intermediate programming in PP. They are not a progression, as in one follows the other; they are just different ways to get results.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast