starting strength gym

Thread: Squat technique and cue help

Default Squat technique and cue help

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This 360x3x5 took me all week to get. Tuesday I got 5/5/4, Thursday I got 5/5/3/1 and finally Saturday 5/5/5. After review I think quite a few of these are shitty squats with knees sliding forward as I try to come up. I don't think they are sliding at the bottom just bad mechanics about driving the hips up not forward. I know the occasional rep is going to be shitty due to a lack of mental focus, but I think I did it several times this set, and I had no optical distractions (women).

Any cues would be helpful. I am going to deload by 15% and start linear progession over. Strongly considering shifting to Texas Method, b/c of the stall this week.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1MBzL5RyBc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avh48l8p6jo

Kind of hard to tell the depth, but from what I can see overall, these look like pretty god damn nice squats to me. Great work.

My friend usually does a good job on allowing depth, I guess you can't go wrong with a tripod. Thank you for the view and comment.

Did you see any knee slide on the way out of the hole?

I think you're right about the knees sliding forward. Saw it on both videos.
    Last edited by scotty022; 02-08-2010 at 09:52 AM. Reason: clarity

That inconsequential bit of knee movement isn't shit. This is where you guys need to learn the difference between major slack in the hamstrings and minor deviation due to weight getting fucking heavy.

-S.

Thank you scotty022 and nisora33.
    Orginally I thought they looked good, but 24 hours afterwards the inside of my left knee began to hurt.
    I was worried the reason is the weight is fucking heavy and as the weight goes up a minor deviation can cause a major injury.
    If this is a case of MPH (My Pussy Hurts) please let me know. By no means am I going to stop squatting and tomorrow (TUE). I am shooting for 365x3x5 which will be a milestone, 40 pound till 405!

Thank you again for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Gottatri2lift View Post
    Thank you scotty022 and nisora33.
    Orginally I thought they looked good, but 24 hours afterwards the inside of my left knee began to hurt.

Thank you again for posting.

With problems like that--unless we're talking some serious tenderness and pain that doesn't disappear or get better during warm-up--it's best to take a weight-and-see attitude. Take it workout by workout, maintaining good form, and you'll know whether or not and how best to address the "injury" soon enough. It may get better, or it may not. But it's your choice about what to do, ultimately. Be sensible.

-S.

From what I can see on the video, your knees look solidly planted. The squats look good. Strong work.

badass

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you all. Without your critiques I would fuss over these videos for days and probably deload. My knees feel fine when I am walking, laying down, or lifting. Just when I am seated for awhile my knee area gets a slight burn. I think it really is my quads not my knees, but I still worry a bit. Thank you guys again!!