starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: routine for maintaining muscle while cutting.

Default routine for maintaining muscle while cutting.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mon
    Back Squat
    2x5

press/bench
    2x5

row
    2x5

DL
    1x5

Wed
    Back squat
    2x5 (90% of monday and fri)

press/bench
    2x5 (same as mon)

pullups
    4xBWx10

Fri
    BS
    2x5

Bench/press
    2x5

Row
    2x5

*some assistance work such as dips/bicepts etc....

I usually throw in a 1rm for one exercise each workout after i've completed my working sets.

just looking for a critique really, thanks.

That looks just fine to me.

Makes sense, if you can stick to such a low volume without getting bored. What diet will you be following? I assume it's something with a fairly serious caloric deficit?

thx for input

I'm following a TKD ketogenic diet www.bodyrecomposition.com , its a low carb diet with about a 500 cal per day defecit. The workout actually takes a rather long time, the 2x5 squats really take it out of me lol, i usually need a good 5mins rest inbetween working sets... Hate dieting

Why do assistance for tri/bi when those are used in the core exercises? Why so much volume and frequency on the squats? why DL AND rows? I'd just do DLs. You could also choose to do 3x3 if you find that easier.

DLs don't provide enough upper back stimulus for many people. This is coming from a 500+ DL'er who has miserable amounts of upper back muscle. Wish I had been doing rows the whole time.

I am on the fence about the dips/bicepts stuff. If you want to do it, fine, if not, fine. I doubt it will make much of a difference either way.

I didn't catch the 1RM efforts the first time - I think that's a horrible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by jacob cloud View Post
    DLs don't provide enough upper back stimulus for many people. This is coming from a 500+ DL'er who has miserable amounts of upper back muscle. Wish I had been doing rows the whole time.
    Yeah I can see how you can think that. Been thinking of maybe doing rows in the future for more upper back stimulus, but what about pull-ups/chin-ups?

Quote Originally Posted by Force Production View Post
    Yeah I can see how you can think that. Been thinking of maybe doing rows in the future for more upper back stimulus, but what about pull-ups/chin-ups?

If the OP can already do 4x10 pullups, much heavier rows might be required (or weighted chins/pullups). Since I can't do anywhere close to 4x10 BW pullups right now, that wouldn't be an option for me, personally. I have a shoulder issue that pull/chins seem to irritate, but rows actually feel great. This is one of those things that ends up being pretty individualistic.

If the OP can already do 4x10 pullups, much heavier rows might be required (or weighted chins/pullups). Since I can't do anywhere close to 4x10 BW pullups right now, that wouldn't be an option for me, personally. I have a shoulder issue that pull/chins seem to irritate, but rows actually feel great. This is one of those things that ends up being pretty individualistic.

agreed, I have a lot of asymmetry in my lifts because i've been lifting heavy since I was 17, I did the shitty bodybuilder programs you see everywhere because I didnt pick up on SS until about 4 months ago, hence I have weak legs compared to upper body.

on the dips/biceps/triceps issue, I wholeheartedly agree, I just cant seem to kick these 3 isolation exercises out due to my own vanity and weakness. That's why I do them last thing on a Fri.

starting strength coach development program

I didn't catch the 1RM efforts the first time - I think that's a horrible idea.
    Can you elaborate please? I thought it would be a good idea for extra intensity to help compensate for the less volume....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast