starting strength gym

Thread: Creatine

Default Creatine

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Who here takes creatine?

I've used it on and off for a while, currently off. I feel like I put on weight fast when I'm on it, I'm guessing due to increased water retention. I'm not sure how useful it has been for me, cause there's often so many other factors that are affecting performance and recovery I've struggled to confidently assess the effect creatine has had on my training.

How much do you take? What time of the day do you take it and do you think this matters? What do you take it with? Do you cycle? etc etc.

How do you feel it affects your training?

I take 5 grams every morning. I just take a spoonfull in my mouth, and wash it down with my shake. It is completely tastless, and disolves easily.

I think it helps with my recovery. Before I started taking it 3 months ago I was having issues recovering from my previous workout. I noticed a difference within a few days.

I don't cycle. I take it every day. You may want to preload at first.

I use Optimum Nutrition's Micronized Creatine.

From my understanding it improves the energy you have by having more creatine phosphate in your muscles to provide energy. Dunno if it helps recovery, but maybe.

I take it first thing, while I'm grinding my coffee for the espresso machine. I left the faucet run full hot for 30 seconds or so, drop 5g in my mug, hold the mug under the faucet, and let the heat and turbulence mix it enough that I can slam the whole thing before it settles. I don't cycle it; it's just part of my morning routine.

According to PPST, if I'm remembering this correctly, it basically makes you more efficient by increasing the ATP available in your system, which ends up helping when it comes to grinding out that one final rep, etc.

There are obviously so many variables in the work/recovery equation that it's tough to fully determine how much it's actually working (especially with a sample size of one), but I did notice that when I started it, I was able to take shorter rests between sets, especially on squats.

I take 3g in a PWO drink, have for years. I use the ethyl ester because it doesn't make me bloated. I've noticed a difference from the first time I took it. May not have as big an effect now as it used to, but it's cheap as hell and isn't hurting anything.

starting strength coach development program
    Yup i was reading through PP 1st ed again, and got up to that bit on page 82-83. Basically it improves energy and recovery like you said. If you can afford it, go ahead and eat that creatine