starting strength gym

Thread: SoCal Recap- Feb 5-7

Default SoCal Recap- Feb 5-7

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    If you weren’t at SoCal Strength & Conditioning this weekend in San Diego, you missed out. Thanks to Ahmik and Krista Jones for providing the great venue and to Spencer and Mike for taking care of us all weekend.

As is quickly becoming the norm, we had lifters from all walks of life. We had a nationally ranked Powerlifter who decided to begin his de-load week by spending time with us prior to the AZ State meet (kick ass Phil!) and a 130 pound New Yorker who has decided to eat, lift, and enter a meet (drink your milk Andrew!) We had competitive Weightlifters and an unusually high number of Irishmen who came all this way to tweak their lifting and coaching skills.

We saw a full range of improved lifts and received many comments on how good the athletes felt after executing the lifts properly compared to the previous way taught. Many vastly improved their coaching skills throughout the weekend, identifying what to cue quickly while learning how to keep things simple rather than over coaching the lifts, a habit that has seemed common of late.

An important aspect of the seminars in this new format is the commitment by those in attendance to set previous notions aside and follow the model of Starting Strength. I’ve been quite impressed by how easily this is accomplished from the first set to the final set of each lift.

We received some good comments aboot the weekend, feel free to add some here. Do you have good pictures? Let’s see ‘em. Thanks for coming out, we are always pleased with the support all of you continue to give.
    Also, keep us posted on your lifting progress on the boards-we want to know how you’re doing.

And to all of you Colts fans out there…those frickin’ Saints are annoying, eh?!?!?
    jp
    Attached Images Attached Images

do u guys get any recreational lifters like me or will i be the first person who cant squat 300 lb but wants to do coach certification?

Yes, we get all sorts. People at different levels and with different backgrounds will get different benefits out of the weekend, of course. --stef
    Last edited by stef; 02-09-2010 at 06:17 PM. Reason: adding answer

It was a great time had by all. Thanks Rip and staff for putting together such an educational as well as entertaining seminar. I highly suggest it to everyone.

Nice write up Juli! Happy all went well in SoCal... except for the big game? Who Dat?

Thanks Mike...and though I didn't care about the game, I did keep an eye on the Line
    jp

Look, here's the deal: most people need to get Stronger, and the only way this is going to happen correctly is if you Coach them. The only way that is going to happen is you working with Rip and Staff at a SS seminar.

I had never really been taught like I was this weekend in San Diego. Not only does Rippetoe give you personal feedback on each of your lifts, but you get coached on how to coach by 4 other very sharp professionals.

Great seminar. Sign up!

starting strength coach development program
    Great time at the seminar with some awesome coaching! The entire staff was very professional and managed to cover a LOT of material while still staying on time. I highly recommend attending a SSS if you have the chance. Thanks Rip, Stef, Juli, Justin and John for a fun weekend!